Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hello, I am a 24 year old male. I have had 1 swollen eye

I am a 24 year old male. I have had 1 swollen eye lid(upper) for about a week now. The eye itself is not red, itchy, and there is no discharge. There is also no pain whatsoever in the eye or the lid. It is usually worse right after waking up. I saw a doctor about this(a day after I first noticed it) and was prescribed Sofracort. Thoughts?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Has the swelling of the lid subsided after using sofracort?

Customer:

Not at all. This morning it was the worst it's been since a week ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is any other part of the face involved such as a swollen cheek/lip ? Do you have any known allergies?

Customer:

No other swelling anywhere on my face. I am allergic to shellfish, but have not been exposed to it for years.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I was wondering if it was more like an allergic reaction since it started only a week back. Ofcourse the exact allergen may not be known as it could be anything in the air too such as dust/mite/pollen.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Other causes of lid swelling such as a stye(painful)/chalazion/blepharitis are unlikely as they would have responded to the warm compresses and sofracort eye ointment atleast to some extent.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How bad is the lid swelling- does it close the eye completely ? Or is it a mild swelling of the upperlid?

Customer:

how do I know when the time I paid for is up?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you mean the amount paid for this question ? Once you get a satisfactory answer you can rate the answer and end the conversation. If not then we can continue further. However I am not sure about the time limit ( I guess there is no limit as such) as you can open this question as and when you want to.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would suggest that you try oral anti-histaminics such as Tablet Zyrtec, 10 mg, one tablet at bedtime for 4-5 days. If it is indeed an allergic reaction to an unknown allergen, then it should begin to subside by then. You can continue with the warm compresses and sofracort.

Customer:

I will look into those and definitely get back to you if they're not effective. Thank you very much for the excellent service.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. You can review the answer anytime later once we exit the chat and switch over to the Q&A mode ( at no additional cost).

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince