Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hi Dr. Dan~ I am feeling a bit better today~ although my eye

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Dan~ I am feeling a bit better today~ although my eye was sore during the night~it is more opened today~ but still quite blood shot~ plus somewhat sore when I open and close it~ my son got me the Real Tears today and hopefully they shall help~I did not put my contact in yet~is it normal to be still red~
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Yes, since it's been only 25 hrs, it's normal still.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

Hi Dr. Dan~I only noticed now that you did respond to my last comment~I have been able to put my contact in yesterday for the first time~ so you were right~ my Doctor is a way this week~ so I appreciated your giving me positive feed back~it is rather a nuisance for me to not be able to wear my missing Lens contact~ due to cataract surgery years ago~ 30 in fact~ could you give me an answer to why she would say it would be too risky to put an implant in now~I am okay with this way however and have had it for so long~ as Dr. Rick said that a way back then they were not as good as today anyway~my pressure sure dropped with these drops~ what happens if you miss a dose~I have not thus far~ the pressure dropped from 37 to 12 and 14 ~I think I read that one can still have glaucoma and have low pressure however~ I did not ask my Doctor this question~ she just has me as a glaucoma suspect ~I think I mentioned to you once that my sister had macular degeneration~but it is actually called polypoidal ~ is this much the same~ as everyone I mentioned her needle treatment to and symptons they All said macular degeneration~ she recently saw a Retina Specialist~and got this name~I see my Visa was charged twice~ so I don't mind asking another question~:-) Martha~PS I wonder if I moved or something is what caused this last problem I had~as I have been going there for some time now and it never happened before~the first night my eye was really sore~Thanks for your help~

Doctor DanB :

Dr. Rick is right. 30 years ago the implants weren't nearly as good and we know much more about the eye today and how the eye reacts to implants than we did then. For the most part, unless there is scar tissue, or other problems with your eye that you and/or I don't know about that may preclude a successful outcome with a lens implant, I do not see why it would be too risk to put one in. But again, there may be other factors about your eye that I am not aware of that make it riskier. That might be a question to get answered with a second opinion from another eye surgeon. Nothing happens if you miss a dose--it won't blind you and the world will go on. Yes, you can still have glaucoma and have low eye pressure.

Customer:

I did have eye tissue scarring~ after my original surgery a while later I could not see again~ the Doctor called it a second cataract~he would have had to do surgery again~ but suggested that instead we go to a larger Center where Laser was then being done~ so we went to Montreal~ maybe that is the reason then~I was thinking if the pressure lowers that much on these drops then missing one or two times will not make much difference~although one would not want to get in that habit~I could not get the three in Friday night~ my eye was just too sore~do they use an instrument to measure the pressure~ is what may have scratched my eye as I moved~ also can you tell me the difference between the two eye disorders~ as I read about them~they sound much the same~ macular degeneration and the other~Thanks~Martha~30 years ago they did not know if the implant would be good for more than 20 years~ I was only 39 then~ so they felt that I would live longer than that and thus would not do it~I remember back then some older people even refused them and went for either the contact or thick glasses~as you said they did not know as much back then~is glaucoma only called such when optic nerve damage is done~???Lowering the pressure would eliminate that I would say~but I am only a lay person~

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I think the instrument they used to measure the pressure may have likely caused the scratch--as I said, it's not uncommon at all. Glaucoma, by definition, is when optic nerve damage happens from too much pressure in the eye, and yes, lowering the pressure halts glaucoma damage, but does not eliminate the disease, just treats it. As far as the macular degeneration and polypoidal, I think that is an entirely different discussion which can go off in many different directions and that may be best handled by Dr. Rick, as he is a retinal specialist, so I will let you bring that up with him. I hope this has been helpful.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Dan~I just wanted to make a comment about glaucoma~ since it is normally caused by damage to the optic nerve by too much pressure~as you stated~ then how could it also happen to a person with low eye pressure~ which you admit it can ~just an after thought~or again is this a whole different direction~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
There are many types of glaucoma and low-tension or normal pressure glaucoma is just one type (and not the most common type). Ultimately, glaucoma is not a simple, linear relationship between pressure and damage to the eye; it is a complex disease process that medical science is only beginning to understand. The etiological reasons for low-tension glaucoma are poorly elucidated.