Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hello, I am having an issue with my right eye. Today I was

I am having an issue with my right eye.
Today I was bent over tying my shoe and my nose started bleeding. I walked to the bathroom to grab a cleanex, when I noticed blood was running from my right eye also. It was, what I consider, a lot of blood.
My nose has since quit bleeding, but my eye still has blood coming from the inner corner. It's not as bad as it was, but I'm still having to wipe the blood from my eye periodically.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes, thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The blood oozing out of the eye appears more enhanced as it gets mixed with the natural tears. It is likely that there is a tiny abrasion in the conjunctiva ( white part of the eye) from which there is a capillary ooze which is getting mixed with the tears.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you remember getting hit on the nose/eye/forehead yesterday or today? Have you rubbed your eye vigourously/ had a large bout of coughing or forceful sneezing?

Customer:

No, I don't remember any of these things happening.Would that have caused the nose to bleed before the blood started coming from my eye?

Customer:

Now it's like I have bvlood draining from the inner corner of my eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Do you have a known history of sinusitis? Any episode of picking of the nose? Were you on any oral medicines such as antibiotics for sinusitis?

Customer:

No, I don't have any history of sinusitis. My nose was dry this morning when I woke up. Also, I'm not taking any oral medications. I did take an over the counter allergy pill the night before.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess the blood coming from the inner corner of the eye will stop shortly ( once the blood clots within 5-7 minutes). If the oozing continues then it is likely to be due to a cut in the conjunctiva.

Customer:

Ok. Sounds good, but it's been oozing blood for about a half hour now.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Conjunctival cuts heal very well and should not be a matter of concern. We do make such conjunctival cuts during eye surgery and leave them to heal naturally ( within a day or two). So I guess it is alright to wait and watch.

Customer:

Ok, thank you. I will wait and watch.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As for the cause of nasal bleeding, I guess it is due to the dryness in the nose. More than 90% of the nasal bleeds are due to anterior bleed from the bllod vessels in the front part of the nose. None of them are serious and the bleed stops eventually. Yes, it is better to wait and watch. In the meanwhile you can put lubricating eye drops such as refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day( you can put till you retire to bed and then start the next morning).

Customer:

Sounds good. Thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince