Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I had sudden dry eyes really bad since an eye exam in November

I had sudden dry eyes really bad since an eye exam in November 2011-in preparation of cataract surgery. I'd worn RGP contacts for over 40 yrs without any problems. I was told to wear only my glasses until surgery, being checked weeks later, but the severe dry eyes started within 10 hrs after that exam. Also, I've worn just my glasses for days before, even just a week prior to this visit and didn't have ANY problems. The eye surgeon at that visit in November also said my eyes were completely healthy, except for the cataracts. I think someone put the wrong drops in my eyes or something-NEVER had ANY symptoms, ever-could wear my contacts 14 hrs a day without any problems. I am now on Restasis and still having problems. I didn't get the result with the lens implant that I was told I would get and have been trying soft contacts, but they make my eyes feel dryer than they do without them. Any ideas? No autoimmune disorders etc.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : There is no medical reason for a significant dry eyes syndrome to start after an eye exam because of the wrong drops being put in the eye. My suspicion is that you may have received a corneal abrasion associated with somebody checking your eye pressure at the exam. It is also common though to have significant dry eye problems after having cataract surgery. You may have had a corneal abrasion from pressure being measured in your eye at the examination but then had significant dry eye results from the cataract surgery sequentially. This would account for the symptoms seeming like they all started at the examination, but I do not see a medical reason for that. The scenario I described is much more likely. Does this make sense?
Customer: I've had a corneal abrasion before-it wasn't that. I woke up about 2 hours after I went to sleep and couldn't open my eyes. I was scared. My eyelids felt like sandpaper and my eyes were bone dry. I kept yawning and doing everything I could and finally lifted my lids open. I went to the bathroom and used my contact solution to wet my eyes as I'd never needed anything before and didn't have anything in the house. I was hoping it was temporary but it wasn't. It continued and I didnt have the cataract surgery until January 2012 and yes that did make it worse. I was put on the restasis about a month or more after surgery because there were things happening to my corneas. It helped the night time sandpaper feeling eyelids but the eyes are still dry. It hasn't gone away since that appt in Nov 2011. The tech was spacey and kept doing things in the wrong order during the appt. She kept reading things and I was in tears trying to read the chart-it was like she didn't believe that I couldn't read it. Then she put drops in my eyes and I asked if she read that I needed very mild dilating drops if that was what she put in and all of a sudden she runs and puts something else in my eyes. Something happened.
Doctor DanB : While I'm sure you have had a corneal abrasion before and know what it feels like, it is also quite a common thing for the ophthalmologist to see a subclinical corneal abrasion that ophthalmologists only can detect after someone's had an eye examination. And this may not feel like a classic corneal abrasion, but it can disturb the corneal epithelium just the same as a classic corneal abrasion and can lead to further problems in people who have corneas that are predisposed to dry eye syndrome or to healing problems. Regardless, you need significant help with your dry eyes. Have you seen a corneal specialist yet?
Customer: Even if I had a corneal abrasion, the dry eyes started hours AFTER that happened-had NO symptoms before that even while the opthalmologist saw me-he said my eyes were healthy, remember? It never went away. My eye surgeon tried to blow it off as wearing my glasses instead on contacts caused it, but I kept telling him that wasn't an unusual thing for me to do. I am seeing my eye surgeons partner next week regarding the secondary cataracts. I was too disappointed in my eye surgeon who told me I'd NEVER have to wear contacts or reading glasses again after my cataract surgery-I have to do both unless I'm mostly driving around all day which is rarely. I'll ask the Dr next week about a specialist. Thanks for the idea.
Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology