Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Concerning the Eyes, I have itchy watery eyes, ,eyelids

Concerning the Eyes, I have itchy watery eyes, ,eyelids get dry & scalely. Ive been to a Doctor & was prescribed an ointment which does not seem to work well. Is there a home remedy eye wash I could make on my own? I don't think Ive an allergy of some sort, but I guess its possible. Or should I go back to same Doctor for other treatment/
Thank You ,, Ardith Myers

Dr. A.S. Desai : Hello,Welcome to Pearl.com
Dr. A.S. Desai : Are you available for chat now?
Dr. A.S. Desai : What is the name of the ointment prescribed and for how long have you been using it?
Dr. A.S. Desai : Two of the most common cause for itching sensation in the eyes are allergic conjunctivitis and squamous blepharitis. Squamous blepharitis is associated with dry scaly lesions at the lid margins. It is often associated with scalp dandruff ( but not in all individuals).
Dr. A.S. Desai : There are a few home remedies which can be tried and are found to be quite effective in most cases of squamous blepharitis.
Dr. A.S. Desai : First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly( for 10 minutes duration, thrice a day). Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided. •Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful. •Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.I guess your ophthalmologist would have prescribed you this ointment.
Dr. A.S. Desai : If the above measures also do not give the desired relief then a short course of oral antibiotics such as Tab.Doxycycline, 100 mg , 1 tablet twice a day for 2 weeks can be given.
Dr. A.S. Desai : Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.Your customer satisfaction score(8+/10) is valuable to me as it helps me to continue as an expert on this site. Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ointment I use is Erythromycin ophthalmic o.5 %
Hello Ardith Myers,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

That is an anitbiotic eye ointment. I am afraid antibiotic alone would not be sufficient in case of squamous blepharitis. You would need a short course ( 2 weeks only) of antibiotic + steroid eye ointment such as Tobradex eye ointment, to be applied once at bedtime. The other measures have been discussed in detail in the above post.

Regards
Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.

An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Your customer satisfaction score(8+/10) is valuable to me as it helps me to continue as an expert on this site.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Is there anything else that I can answer for you ?