Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Retinal Surgery - Gas Bubble

Customer Question

I had retinal surgery 3 weeks ago and a gas bubble was put in my eye. My vision is very, very blurry and the top of my field of vision it looks like wavy lines - some of which are clear and some of which are grey. Is that normal? Is the gas bubble dissipating? Or am I having some major bad issues.

How long does it take for the gas bubble to go away? Also I have Lupus SLE
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I am a retina surgeon. Was the gas bubble put into your eye in the doctors office?
Customer: It was done as out-patient surgery
Dr. Rick : Ok. So you went to the OR had a vitrectomy, possible endolaser and gas/fluid exchange.
Customer: My dr. did some laser and some sort of freezing method
Dr. Rick : cryo.
Customer: yes
Dr. Rick : Ok. There are a number of gases your doctor could have used. The shortest acting one (which he probably didn't use) is SF6, which stays in your eye about 2 weeks.
Customer: I am very concerned about the waving lines I now have in the top of my field of vision. That only started yesterday.
Dr. Rick : He probably used a non-expansile concentration of C2F8, which is effective for about 30 days and can stay in the eye for up to 60 days.
Customer: This is actually my second retinal detachment. My first one was 10 years ago in my other eye
Dr. Rick : When was the last time your surgeon examined you?
Customer: 2 weeks ago - May 8th
Customer: He said it looked ok then, but that I wasn't out of the woods yet.
Dr. Rick : Ok. And, just to make sure I understand you correctly, the vision changes when you are standing or sitting upright, are in the top part of your visual field. Is this correct?
Dr. Rick : Also, can you see the edge of the bubble if you move your head around?
Dr. Rick : If he used SF6 you might not be able to see a bubble anymore....
Customer: My tear was the upper right (on the nose side) I can definitly see the bubble. If I am sitting up, the bubble is in my I see the bubble on the bottom. I can see the bubble see the bubble. My vision is VERY blurry. I can see colors but am very concerned about the wavy lines in my top field of vision
Customer: Could my retina have detached again?
Dr. Rick : Ok. I think you have C2F6 gas then. With the presence of a shrinking bubble (which is in the top part of your eye, which you see in your lower visual field) and new wavy vision changes now present in your upper visual field, I am worried that -- yes -- your inferior retina may now have detached.
Dr. Rick : Unfortunately, this happens more often then we like in cases such as yours.....
Dr. Rick : So. What to do? I would call your retina surgeons office now and let them know what you are experiencing. They will most likely want to see you first thing in the morning.
Dr. Rick : Do not eat or drink anything, other than a sip of water with your normal medications, until you are examined by the retina doc.
Customer: He is in Italy on vacation. I have an appointment with him next Tuesday
Dr. Rick : Does he have a partner?
Customer: I will call the office tomorrow
Dr. Rick : Your retina may not be detached but, based on our conversation, you need a good exam to make sure.
Dr. Rick : Ok. Do your best to be examined by a retina surgeon before days end tomorrow.
Dr. Rick : The sooner the better but it is not an emergency tonight. Does this make sense to you?
Customer: Yes.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss this evening?
Customer: why are some of the lines wavy greyish and some are wavy clear? Its like a zebra pattern
Customer: should I put a patch on my eye?
Dr. Rick : It is possible that you are seeing reflections off the gas bubble.....
Dr. Rick : or it could be areas where your retina is detached vs partially detached vs attached.....
Dr. Rick : The only way to tell for sure, with your history, is to have a look.
Customer: My bubble is on the bottom, the lines are on the top
Dr. Rick : Yes. But everything you see is upside down to how things are in your eyeball.....bubbles float up, so your lower retina sees them and your brain "thinks" it is on the bottom etc.
Customer: the lines flicker also
Dr. Rick : Since God only had 6 days to make the entire world, he had to cut corners somewhere so he made the retina backwards...but, hey, it works :)
Customer: how come the lines are flickering
Dr. Rick : as the retina tissue slides back and forth signals are sent to the brain that are interpreted as flickers, sometimes flashes, grey/green etc.
Customer: so that is not normal in the healing process, then
Dr. Rick : Sorry to say, but no.
Customer: should I wear an eye patch
Dr. Rick : There is no need to wear an eye patch. Just try to go to sleep. You can watch TV but don't read if you don't have to.
Customer: thank you
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else or have we covered all your questions?
Customer: I've been doing quite a bit of computer work - could that have been the culprit
Dr. Rick : no.
Dr. Rick : These things just happen. Of course, until you are examined, we won't know for sure what is going on....but another detachment is a high possibility.
Customer: Thank you
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

I just finished with two retina detachments and my thoughts turned to you.

What did your doctor find on Wednesday? Was you retina detached?

I hope you are doing better and are healing up quickly.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future.

Dr Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking. I actually got in to see my doctor last Friday. My retina hadn't re-detached . At first he was very concerned it had. I have a massive amount of inflammation due to my Lupus condition in my eye which was causing alot of my problems. I am taking Prednisone for 2 weeks along with Pred forte drops. I hope things get better otherwise I will need to have the scleral buckle operation like I did in my right eye 10 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Hopefully the steroids will dry things up and your inferior retina will settle down and get flat again.

It sounds like you are in excellent hands :)

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Have a great day.