Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

im looking for more information about vertical heterophori

Customer Question

im looking for more information about vertical heterophoria
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Would you like a review article or do you have questions you'd like to ask?
Customer: Hi, is this a live chat session.
Customer: I have a couple of questions if that is alright
Customer: I have been suffering with issues for ten or more years fatigue, light headed , tired eyes , sensitive to sun etc. I have had all the usual tests (bloods, MRI, ENT) etc
Customer: My eyes have recently become very strain, permanenetly. On looking around the web I found some information on vertical heterophoria and submitted a questionnaire. I scored very highly and pretty much all the symptoms were bang on
Customer: I have just been to see a local optomitrist , they confirmed the health of my eyes and my vision per say was good.
Customer: However when doing the alternating cover eye tests - the image jumped both horizontally md vertically quite significantly. She said tha although this did indicate a even of heterophoria. It was unlikely this was causing my problems. She indicated that a measurement she took for the heterophoria was 0.5 and this was within the realms of normal
Customer: My question is , this test was early in the morning, when my eyes are better than the rest of the day. Is it possible that my eyes compensate better for the heterophoria early and later in the day when my eyes feel even worse they are not compensating as well.
Customer: Also was this test comprehensive enough to rule out vertical heterophoria as the symptoms are BANG on? Your advice would be very much appreciated.
Customer: Sorry, are you there?
Customer: Sorry, I'm very confused by what is happening here.
Customer: Sorry , an additional question, when I alternate closing left eye, then opening at simultaneously closing the other eye, the image moves across and up very noticeably, is this normal? Or could it indicate I am on the right path? Mny thanks
Doctor DanB : I'm sorry. I hit an area where I didn't have cell service. Let me read your questions and I'll respond to them individually.
Customer: Thankyou so much
Doctor DanB : Yes, it is possible that you can compensate for that level of phoria in the morning and have less chance of being able to control it later in the day when you're more tired.
Doctor DanB : I would say that unless you have seen an ophthalmologist, I would say that you haven't done a definitive evaluation of this.
Doctor DanB : That moving of the image when you alternate which eye is open is part and parcel of having a phoria--I would expect this to happen.
Doctor DanB : Does all this make sense?
Customer: Absoultely
Customer: Can I please ask another couple f quick questions?
Doctor DanB : Sure. Go ahead.
Customer: Could this also be why I feel the need to wear sunglasses , particularly driving , almost everyday?
Customer: is it likely , if this is the problem, that it could help my tired eyes by occluding an eye with a patch for a few hours at a time?
Customer: And finallly......
Doctor DanB : Yes it could be though its possible that need comes from something else too.
Doctor DanB : Yes, you could certainly be helped by wearing a patch for awhile though it might be better for you to get prisms in your glasses to help keep the eyes aligned.
Customer: Based on what I have told you, is it your advice , that I continue to follow this up and maybe get another opinion. Perhaps I could pay the optomitrist to set me up with the appropriate prism glasses to At least try for a couple of weeks to see if things improve?
Doctor DanB : I think getting the prisms to try for awhile to serif that helps you but I would pursue seeing an ophthalmologist to determine where this came from.
Customer: Ok, thanks k that has given me the confidence to ask the optomitrist to at least let me try prisms . Many thanks fr your help.
Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have one more really quick question, I hope you don't mind - I have made an observation.

I have noticed that when I am reading things up close - I am actually straining a bit to focus. When I relax my eyes they go straight to double vision. I take effort to refocus and maintain that focus. So, in a nutshell , it feels like my relaxed eye gives things up close double vision

Is this worth investigating?

Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
Nope. I totally expect that.