Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have had four retina reattachment operations over three years

Customer Question

I have had four retina reattachment operations over three years and my vision is still very poor. I have been told that I formed scar tissue above and below the retina and this has resulted in the poor outcome. What can be done at this stage that could improve my viaion. I test at 20/400 with a lot of diatortion.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. I'm afraid that I don't have great news for you.
Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, after having had the retina detach four times, this disassociation of the retina from its blood supply, has left the retina poorly functioning at best. And then when you take into account the scar tissue that is forming above and below the retina, I do not believe there is any surgical or medical therapy that canImprove the vision significantly beyond what you currently have. Unfortunately, medical science has just not figured out how to restore function to a retina that has lost its blood supply so many times and has had so much trauma. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer: The retina did not detach after the first operation except that the scar tissue caused the retina to "wrinkle" significantly. A buckle was installed in the first operation and silicone oil was used to better retain the retina.
Doctor DanB : Thank you for that additional information. Unfortunately, that doesn't affect the ultimate prognosis for your vision. I still do not anticipate there being any new or upcoming treatment modality that will restore function to this retina. Do you have any other questions or clarifications about this?
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, i guess. You have verified what I have heard from my surgeon.

Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I'm sorry it isn't better news. Good luck to you.