Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What laser treatment will reduce undereye dark circles, and

What laser treatment will reduce undereye dark circles, and what is the cost
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It sounds like you have orbital fat prolapse. This is a benign condition.

The most common cause of dark circles under the eyes is breakdown of the orbital septum which allows the normal orbital fat tissue that surrounds and cushions your eyeball to "pooch" forward.

As you know, there are tons of creams and lotions for the ladies to use for this issue. Why are there so many different ones? Because none of them work :-)

With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.

The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office.

Here is a good webpage that discusses this surgery:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharoplasty

Laser treatment will not reduce these undereye dark circles.

Blepharoplasty costs vary around the country and range from $1,800 to $3,500. That being said, if functional issues can be documented, insurance (private, medicare, medicaid etc) will cover the majority of these costs.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have any bags just purple around the eye. So does the same info apply
Ann,

Yes. The color, even without significant bags, is due to the tissue that has moved forward and is now under the skin. As such, the same information applies....

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.