Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My 14 week old daughter has had a couple episodes where here

My 14 week old daughter has had a couple episodes where here yes flutter up and down when we are trying to change her diaper. Only happens when she is on her back and trying to look at me by her feet. I sent video to our predication and was told its nystagmus and to see a nurologist.... Looking at long lead times, is this always bad, or can it be developmental?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Pearl.com

I guess it is better to get an opinion from a neurologist. The first thing would be to establish whether there is vertical nystagmus or not. This can be done by clinical examination, electrophysiological tests such as VEP, and neuroimaging. If all these tests are found to be normal then the eye movements could be probably due to extreme gaze nystagmus ( seen only in extreme gazes of the eye as is the case in your child too) or due to congenital idiopathic nystagmus (CIN). However it is to be kept in mind that aligned binocular movement can be delayed ( normally the two eyes have normal ocular movements by 6-12 weeks) but settles by he first birthday. I hope that answers your query.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes. It was a pleasure to have answered this question. Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is Vertical Nystagmus or extreme gaze nystagmus? Is this something she can grow out of or is it as bad if a vision problem as I have been treading about online?

Thank you for all your help.
Elliott
Hello Elliot,

Thank you for the reply.

Jerky rhythmic involuntary movement of the eyes is called nystagmus. It can in horizontal/vertical/pendular direction. Since you have mentioned the movement of the eyes to be upward and downward, it could be a vertical nystagmus. However most often nystagmus is observed continuously ( its velocity can vary) except in extreme gaze nystagmus wherein the nystagmus is not observed in normal position of the eyes and becomes obvious only in extreme gazes ( for example extreme side gaze or up or downgaze ). Every nystagmus is not an indicator of a grave problem. But only a thorough exam and investigations can help to know the exact cause. Many times the nystagmus is due to an ocular problem alone. Whether the vision is affected or not can only be determined at this age with the help of VEP ( visually evoked potential). Kindly do not read too much from the online information unless the child is thoroughly investigated and a final diagnosis is made as it could lead to too much of stress and anxiety worrying about a lot of things which are not there.Being a mother of two, I can however understand your situation and the associated anxiety. I would wait for the eye movment to be identified first ( we are not sure if it is indeed nystagmus or not) followed by the investigations and their report. Thus it makes sense to go for the opinion of a neurologist and ophthalmologist.

I wish your child well ! Take care.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

If you are satisfied with the answer and this experience on JA/Pearl, then a score of 8+/10 score on customer satisfaction survey can be given.

Hi Elliot,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.I noticed that you have viewed the answer but not rated it yet. Do you still have any more questions to ask? If so please do not hesitate to ask as we are here to provide asnwers to your satisfaction.Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai