Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Just a quick question on prescription changes. I was wondering

Just a quick question on prescription changes. I was wondering how much prescriptions typically change, or if they ever get to a point and stop changing. I've had the same perscription for the past 2-3 years, my most recent trip I went from -3.75 to -4.50 in one eye and from -3.50 to -3.75 in the other. I go in for regular exams and was dilated last time and no other issues came up. Just curious as to weather I can expect my sight to continue to slightly deteriorate? or if this change was more of an abnormality.

32 year old male.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Great question. Minor shifts in the glasses prescriptions are normal. I call a -0.75 diopter shift fairly minor. As we get older the eyes change shape ever so slightly and it is this change that causes these minor shifts. Can you expect that you have some minor shifts like this every few years? Absolutely. These are very normal and usually not caused by anything other than living. However, if you have diabetes or are forming cataracts, these can cause shifts in the refractive errors as well. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer: Hi Doctor. Thanks for the response. I had a full eye exam just a couple of weeks ago, if I was forming cataracts they would have seen something correct?
Doctor DanB : Absolutely.