Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi there I am a fifty two yr old active healthy female. I

Hi there
I am a fifty two yr old active healthy female.
I was just diagnosed with a PVD in my left eye, (it happened about 10 days ago) no retinal tear.
My optic nerve and the rest of my eyes are healthy.
I am very nearsighted and have been progressively, slowly getting worse since my 30's.
My question to an opthamologist is should I be concerned about running?
I do triathlons weightlifting etc.
Will this increase my chance of a retinal tear within the 3 month period of being diagnosed with a vitreous detachment?
And what are my risks chances if getting anothe VD?
Would getting corrective eye lasering lessen my chances of more eye problems?
And can I wear contacts?
Thank you
Mokie Burnham

Dr. A.S. Desai : Hello,Welcome to Pearl.com
Dr. A.S. Desai : Are you available for chat now?
Dr. A.S. Desai : The positive part of the eye exam is that there are no retinal tears.Retinal tears are more common in very high myopes ( short sightedness).
Dr. A.S. Desai : In Posterior vitreous detachment or PVD the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers. Your eye exam has shown a normal retina with no retinal tears.Physical exercise will not cause retinal tears to occur.So you can continue with the physical activities without any risk of retinal tears or extension of the PVD.
Dr. A.S. Desai : Lasers are advised in high myopia if there are areas of retinal thinning or even frank retinal holes or tears. By sealing these areas the risk of retinal detachment is reduced. The cause of the retinal thinning or tears is however not related to any form of physical activitiy but rather genetic in nature which in turn is responsible for the axial length of the eyeball. Myopia can be due to a large eyeball which is associated with peripheral thinning of the retina. Whether to undergo prophylactic laser for the peripheral retina or not can be best decided upon by your ophthalmologist. If there are no areas of thinning at the moment then laser would not be necessary.
Dr. A.S. Desai : Yes, you can continue to wear contact lenses.
Dr. A.S. Desai : Is there anything else that I can answer for you ?