Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My wife just woke up and her eye hurt. when she looks to the

My wife just woke up and her eye hurt. when she looks to the right, it looks like their is a clear membrane-like covering on her eye that wrinkles. It only happens when she looks to the left on one eyeball. The eye is a little puffy and not opeing as wide as the other eye. What should I do?

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to chat about your wife now?
Customer: yes
Customer: thank you...
Dr. Tom : The prompt indicates that you are standing by, so if you would just acknowledge that you are ready to chat I will be happy to help you.
Customer: i am ready...how do i change the prompt?
Dr. Tom : No problem, everything is fine give me a second to ask a couple of questions.
Customer: ok
Dr. Tom : First, I'm sorry your wife is having the problem. And second it would be helpful to know if she is a person prone to allergies or if she has ever had any surgery or serious Eye problem?
Customer: no allergies no eye surgery or serious eye problems before
Customer: there is a thin membrane on the eye that looks like it is buckling or wrinkling when she moves her eyeball. it is not smooth....
Customer: she is a second grade school teacher...
Customer: doesn't drink, smoke etc...
Dr. Tom : One more question, does her eye burn or itch or has she had any change in her vision?
Customer: slight pain ..no itching no burning
Customer: no reporting any change in vision
Customer: not reporting any change in vision
Dr. Tom : Okay, thanks for that information. Give me a minute to type a response.
Dr. Tom : From the sounds of it, the good news is that this will probably clear up very quickly. Under the circumstances, in my patient practice I would recommend initially using cold compresses and over-the-counter lubricating eye drops. Systane is a very good choice. It is safe and can be used for five times a day to reduce the surface reaction. If itching develops, another over-the-counter product, called Zaditor, is effective. From your description in your posting, it's unlikely at this point that she has an infection. However, if the turns red, produces lots of mucus or there is any change in vision she should see an ophthalmologist. This is make sense so far?
Dr. Tom : Is there anything else I can answer for you or does this satisfy your question?
Dr. Tom : The prompt indicates that you are standing by. Is there anything else I can do for you?
Customer: are you there?
Dr. Tom : Yes, waiting on you to let me know if I have answered your question to your satisfaction?
Customer: not yet... you said that i should be concerned if it turns red, or if it produces a lot of mucus or change in vision.... I was not clear on what "if it turns red" means..I am getting satisifed with your answer but needed clarificaiton....Her right side of the eye ball has a lot of red blood vessels that have appeared. It is not really white anymore
Dr. Tom : Please let me know if I can do anything else for you.
Customer: not yet... you said that i should be concerned if it turns red, or if it produces a lot of mucus or change in vision.... I was not clear on what "if it turns red" means..I am getting satisifed with your answer but needed clarificaiton....Her right side of the eye ball has a lot of red blood vessels that have appeared. It is not really white anymore
Customer: ok..thanks...
Hi Arun,

This is just a quick note to say I hope your wife's eye condition has resolved.

You can direct new questions to me directly if you liked my service.

Wishing for you the best of health,

Dr. Tom