Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

In 1981 I was diagnosed with engorged blood vessels in RT eye

In 1981 I was diagnosed with engorged blood vessels in RT eye (age 32). Three years ago, my LT eye had engorged vessels. My Dr. described both eys as "scary". I have also over the last three years have increased eye pressure. My Dr. is now testing for glaucoma. What could be the reason for the blood vessel condition and should I be worried?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer: Yes
Doctor DanB : Have you had any head trauma in the past?
Customer: Many years ago, was kicked in the head and knocked to the ground. I really did see stars.
Doctor DanB : If I were you I would not be too worried. However I would be worried enough to get a work up to assess for a carotid cavernous fistula. This is where the blood vessels in the head can merge with your blood vessels serving the eyes and cause a buildup of pressure in those blood vessels behind the eyes. This can lead to glaucoma. These can happen spontaneously or can be a result of head trauma. Given your history of head trauma, I would recommend any ophthalmologist who does it work up for this to include imaging to assess for such a fistula. Does this make sense?
Customer: Yes, it does. I will mention it to him.