Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have had the following symptoms for over 16 months. They

I have had the following symptoms for over 16 months. They started after I was taken off long term use of pain killers for my back. I started taking steroid shots in my lower back/SI joint at the same time.
The symptoms came on suddenly in one or 2 days. I became dizzy, disorientated, unable to keep a clear thought, garbled speech, blurry vision, pressure behind my eyes, shaky hands, heart palpitations, sinus pressure, head aches, insomnia, numbness on the crown "back" of my head, blocked ears, and now recently a constant ringing in my ears. I have been to the ER 2X, was told that I had a sinus infection, put on antibiotics for months, was told that I needed sinus surgery to correct the problem, went through the surgery with no results, referred to an allergist, optimologist, neurologist, physcologist, had 1 MRI and 2 CT scans and no one can tell me what is wrong with me.This condition is effecting every aspect of my life.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I'm sorry to hear how much, and for how long you have been suffering :(

At this point it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you? It seems to me that you have tried everything else....

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in Destin Florida. Where is the BEST and closest Mayo clinic to my location?
There is a Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida:

It is 322 miles from you :(

Their other locations are in Rochester Minnesota (main campus) and in Scottsdale and Phoenix Arizona

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you give me a referral to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville?
I am not part of their system and, actually, I am way up North, by the Canadian border so there is no way for me to submit a referral/consult for you.

The good news, however, is that you do not need a referral to see a Mayo doctor....

I wish you the very best. Let me know how things turn out.