Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have an affliction below my eyes that burns and itches a

I have an affliction below my eyes that burns and itches a little. It seemed to start when I made a trip to Italy last fall.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do your eyes water at all?

Customer:

Sometimez

Customer:

Like Today When Playing Tennis

Dr. Rick :

A common cause for symptoms like yours is a combination of an anterior segment problem/tear film issue.

Dr. Rick :

Many times, for all sorts of reasons (Like a trip to Italy :), the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it, does indeed, work.

Customer:

Would A Pboto Help?

Dr. Rick :

In addition, if the skin under your eyelids is burning and itching as well putting 1% Hydrocortisone cream (available over the counter) on the area 2x/day should help.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure what a Pboto is......

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Sorry, I Meant Photo

Dr. Rick :

Sure. That would be good. You can upload it using the paperclip on your screen. I would be happy to take a look at a picture.

Customer:

Is There A Way To Send Privately?

Dr. Rick :

No.

Dr. Rick :

But the question can be locked after you accept my answer so the picture and our discussion will be private.

Customer:

okOk, iI needNeed toTo editaA bitBit thenThen

Dr. Rick :

k

Customer:

Be Back In A Minute Or 2

Dr. Rick :

k

Customer:

Looks Like I Have To Up Load The Pix To 3Rd Party...

Dr. Rick :

Try this:

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer:

Dthis Is Quite ClumsyWiththis Droid

Dr. Rick :

It may not work coming from a droid.

Dr. Rick :

Do you want to just give the therapy we have discussed so far a go?

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe you are going to be able to upload a picture from your phone onto our system.....

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your system........

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I Transfer Over To My Desktop Somehow?

i've Uploaded The Photos To Tinypix

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Cynthia,

Please give me the tinypic link and I'll have a look.

it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wont Let ME Move To Desktop. Can I Cancel And Restart On Desktop?.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Keep getting error when attempting to get you the link. Here's another try: http://i44.tinypic.com/30biyaa.jpg

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
got the picture.

The therapy we discussed above will work just fine for that.

I hope you feel better soon.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest