eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children
63511224

Good morning. Briefly, I have a 25 year history of recurrent

Good morning. Briefly, I have a 25 year history of recurrent CSR, a rd off the macula repaired with a buckle 20 years ago, and now a 'significant' cataract. Since the development of the cataract, my acuity has decreased from 20/200 corrected to 20/400. I googled around and did an experiment. I made a makeshift pinhole occluder by punching a paperclip through an index card. The shadow effect is gone and my vision (tested on iPad) seems back to 20/200. I have been holding off of cataract surgery as the other eye had a neovascular central bleed 12 years ago and then had laser surgery and no subsequent central vision. I see my retina doc every 3 mos and also get refracted. Ques: Is this improvement with the pinhole effect mostly due to what a successful cataract surgery would do, or would some of it be change of Rx? (That eye's Rx is -6.00). Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  eyesight2020 replied 1 year ago.

eyesight2020 :

Goodmorning,

Customer:

Hi there !

eyesight2020 :

In the office setting,a pinhole occluder is used to derermine if a change in refractive status,change in prescription would improve the vision.

Customer:

and would the pinhole improve the situation due to the cataract? or just prescription change?

eyesight2020 :

In your case ,to determine exactly what your visual outcome would be

eyesight2020 :

an opthalmologist would use an instrument known as a potential acuity meter to determine what your potential visual outcome would be by having cataract surgery.

Customer:

i read that. the makeshift occluder gets rid of the shadowing entirely from the cataract which improves my acuity as well on the Smellen chart. So is this suggestive of what to expect? I wsa refracted last month so I believe that part is proper

eyesight2020 :

Since you see your retina doctor every 3 months I would mention it to him since he is more awre of your situation and can give you a better idea in this case.

eyesight2020 :

Since with your make shift occluder

eyesight2020 :

you were only able to get to 20/200

eyesight2020 :

I would suggest you have your eye doctor evaluate you and see if your doctor gets a better acuity reading for you

Customer:

I was 20/200 when I had no cataract for the previous 15 years, so I am assuming that the removal of the cataract would bring me back to 20/200. It is the shadowing that I am asking about that I notice to be gone with my low tech occluder

Customer:

20/200 due to other retinal problems

eyesight2020 :

Some of the shadoqing could be from your retinal problem so it would be something to bring up to your retina doctor

eyesight2020 :

some of the shadowing could be from your retinal problem

Customer:

okay. but would an occluder reduce shadowing from a cataract?

eyesight2020 :

It would seem from what you said ,that maybe even with cataract surgery the best your vision maybe is 20/200 however it is wrth it to be evaluated with a potential acuity meter to determine if that would actually be the case

eyesight2020 :

An occluder can reduce in general

eyesight2020 :

and not just specifically due to a cataract

Customer:

yes. 20/200 would likely be the best resultt and would be a vast improvement of now 20/400 and shadowing. Just trying to see how much of that is cataract influenced now as although cataract surgery is very low risk, with my pre-exisitng surgeries and retinal disease, and no central vision in othereye, low risk becomes more signifacnt risk

eyesight2020 :

So the best thing is to followup with your retina doctor and if he agrees then be evaluated for a cataract consult.

Customer:

I plan to. It is scheduled. Thank you

eyesight2020 :

Any other questions if so feel free to asks,if not please rate this session before you leave the website

Customer:

OK, one last: For a person with 20/20 vision without correction, and a significant cataract causing shadowing and halos, would an occluder show some improvement?

eyesight2020 :

In my expiriencw it is not possible to have 20/20 and a significant cataract oresent

eyesight2020 :

If a person has a significant cataract there will be some visual compromise,ie. 20/40 or worse.

Customer:

ok, thanks

eyesight2020 :

There will be some kind of visual compromise present ie. 20/40 or less

eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience: provide eyecare information for adults and children