Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

Hi,When i wake up everday for the last weeks i have seeing

Hi, When i wake up everday for the last weeks i am seeing every day some bright dark circles on my peripheral right eye after waking up which dissapear after few seconds when the eye adjusts to the light on the room . Sometimes also during the day i have some flashes of light on the same spot during the day when there are some light changes however they have dissapeared and come back again weeks later. Also during the day in a dark place with few lights if i close my eyes and then open them suddently the dark light spot appears and dissapears in 1 to 2 seconds, if i open them slowly the spot does not appear.

Would like to clarify that sometimes i suffer from migraines due to stress since the age of 18, and i have 8 to 10 hours of exposure to personal computers due to professional reasons since i work in Systems Engineering since my age of 23. Can this be any issue related to vision stress on computers or general anxiety from work ? Best Regards, PJM

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Hi, good morning.

Dr. Tom :

Good morning to you as well, Please give me a minute to type a reply, OK?

Customer:

Sure thing, thanks.

Dr. Tom :

Thanks for your question. It is a good one,. Your symptoms with regard to the circles of light are certainly consistent with your old migraine history. It is common to have the visual associations and aura of the migraine headache without having any pain,.

Dr. Tom :

Stand by there is more.

Customer:

ok :)

Dr. Tom :

Stress and anxiety are often associated with the ophthalmic migraine pattern. So it is likely that your extensive work at the computer related. But don't worry about damage to your eyes from extensive computer work. They may get tired but no permanent: damage can be done. Let's stop there to see if you have any other questions.

Customer:

Yes. For example i do not have any problems seeing objects at the moment, my sight is completely clear, just when the eyes close and open. Can this be associated for example i started working a big building on the 24th floor and be a blood pressure issue ? Because this spots started to happen 1 week from the start of working at such high altitude

Customer:

i forgot to say that in the "ticket"

Dr. Tom :

The elevation of the 24th floor would not have any substantial effect on blood pressure. Changes in vision which occur with blinking suggest that the ocular tear film may be in need of eyedrops which stabilize the tear film.A good over the counter brand is called Systane. If used several times a day it really helps people who spend a great deal of time focused on a computer screen. Does this make sense?

Customer:

yes it does

Dr. Tom :

Is there anything else about this that I can answer for you?

Customer:

No thanks ! it helped a lot since i was thinking in something worse, like PVD

Customer:

and i was scared that something awful could be associated

Dr. Tom :

PVDs can cause flashes, but the blinking issue is more likely the tear film. New flashes and new floaters require you be seen for evaluation.

Customer:

Sure. Floaters of course i have them since kid, but they seem to be the same since then. Flashes it is only in that specific part i told about on the ticket, and they have dissapeared after some eye rest, they just re-appeared due to again too much hours and stress on project management.

Customer:

it makes purely sense :)

Dr. Tom :

Good....thanks for letting me help. Bests wishes.

Customer:

Thanks Dr. Tom !

Customer:

good morning for you and good work.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems