Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My girl has a very red, itchy right eye. She has tried zyrtec,

My girl has a very red, itchy right eye. She has tried zyrtec, zatidor and Naphcon A eye drop for allergy relief, nothing helps. This condition has been last on and off for over a week already. The pediatrician kept telling us it's allergy. I suspect it might be infection? Pinkeye?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Has she had a cold or upper respiratory tract infection or stomach flu lately?

Hi Dr. DanB,

Doctor DanB : In the absence of this, I do not suspect it is pinkeye, because the virus that causes a pinkeye causes an upper respiratory tract infection, in other words a cold, or a stomach flu. It is likely that she has significant allergies. She likely needs to be on Zyrtec and a better eyedrop to to control her allergies such as Pataday. This is a prescription drop that she needs to obtain from a doctor. Cool compresses will also help her symptoms significantly; she should use them liberally. In addition, a significant amount of self-control is also needed. Even the best of medicines can be made useless if one continues to rub the eyes. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?

Maybe I should mention to you that she actually had lots of light yellowish discharge last Monday. It just happened once. Then it is the itchy and red eye.

Doctor DanB : That can be consistent with allergic conjunctivitis. If there is any doubt at any time, the best thing to do is to have an exam with her ophthalmologist. That would for certain rule out infection as the cause of this. But she's likely one of those persons that needs the strongest of allergy medicines taking them in a combined fashion for relief. The ophthalmologist can prescribe this drop or her general doctor can as well.

Thank you Dr. DanB! Could you sort of explain to me what is allergic conjunctivitis? Is it some kind of infection caused by allergy?

Doctor DanB : Essentially allergic conjunctivitis is just the technical term for allergies in the eyes which cause the eyes to itch and the conjunctiva (which is the thin transparent membrane over the eye) to become swollen and red. It can be associated with whitish yellowish ropey discharge and severe itching.

That's it! The discharge looked just like what you described. So, if that is the case, my understanding, is to treat them with stronger allergy medication? or antibiotics? or bring her to be checked by ophthalmologist? like you have suggested?

What causes allergic conjuctivitis? Is it seasonal (spring time with lots of pollen flying around) or from eye lashes?

Doctor DanB : I think bringing her to the ophthalmologist is probably the quickest and most expedient way to get the treatment she needs. The ophthalmologist can prescribe the strong allergy drop and can also rule out any eye infection. If this is only allergic conjunctivitis, and have antibiotics will do absolutely no good. Even if it is a "pink eye", which is a viral infection, antibiotics still will not do any good. Does this make sense?

Thanks a lot for your clear explanation and instructions.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!