Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am a 60 year old black woman with known early cataracts and

I am a 60 year old black woman with known early cataracts and early vitreous detachment. I had bilateral iridectomies prophylactically for narrow angles. About six months ago I noticed that I can see my heart beat in my eyes - each of them - but today it became so noticeable the road I was running on looked blurry. Once I slow down the location of this gradually fades inferiorly and becomes imperceptible.
I take Coreg for hypertension and a prior episode of atrial flutter (2 years ago) due to overly aggressive thyroid replacement for hashimoto's thyroiditis.
Many thanks.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. What is your blood pressure like right now or over the past week?

Customer:

It has been between 114/78 - 130/90.

Customer:

I am very adherent with my Coreg and the maxzide.

Doctor DanB :

And when was the last time you had your eye pressures checked?

Customer:

Six months ago, and it was normal in both eyes.

Doctor DanB :

Then I don't think this is anything to worry about. As long as you aren't having significant eye pain, sensitivity to light or decreased vision. As long as both your eye and blood pressure are normal, I think this just likely represents one of these oddities of life that we all deal with from time to time. It is not uncommon for someone to say they see their pulse in their vision--these are just the things that should be monitored to make sure that this oddity is not a pathologic oddity. Does that make sense?

Customer:

i noticed it about six months ago just sitting quietly staring at white floor. But today when running it became more visible and gradually began to consume the lower half of my visual field. I have a blood pressure cuff at home and monitor my blood pressure, but will call the opthalmologist. I have no eye pain or redness.

Customer:

Thank you for assisting me.

Doctor DanB :

Yeah, the running can certainly exacerbate that (make your blood pressure a little higher and your pulse as well, therefore making the symptoms more noticeable). Bust I think that's a good idea to check your BP and let your ophthalmologist know, just in case they want to see you for it.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

No thanks for everything.

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!