Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi, In last couple of days, am seeing an extra skin coming

In last couple of days, am seeing an extra skin coming out over my left eyelids. Its not paining though, and would like to know, the reason for it and whether it can be removed safely.

Thanks in advance.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What do you mean by an extra skin?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : What do you mean by an extra skin?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick,

A small skin coming out (hanging) on the left eyelid.

Viraj,

Can you take a picture and upload it so I can see?

Here is a good way to upload a picture:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick.

Below is the link. I have highlighted the skin area in the photo.

Thanks

http://i44.tinypic.com/24wy5jl.jpg

viraj,

Thanks for the excellent picture.

That could be a couple of things. The most likely is something called a syringoma. These are caused by overgrowth of sweat gland cell located in your skin.

No treatment is necessary however they can be removed by simple excision or cautery.

It could also be a milia. These are small bumps filled with keratin and tend to have a hard feel to them. They are from plugged up skin glands and can be removed by "popping" them with a needle and squeezing out the keratin lump. A special tool, called a comodome extractor is made just for this purpose.

So. What is the take home message? The extra skin you are seeing is nothing to worry about. It is not a cancer or anything like that :)

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Rick for your advise.

Can the extra skin go in its own, without being removed by simple excision or cautery or do I need to visit my family doctor to get it removed

Also, today morning I had gone to Rexall to check, whether I can get over the counter medication to remove the skin. The pharmacist asked me, whether I have cholesterol problem? Can the overgrowth of sweat gland be because of cholesterol problem as this is happening to first time and last time during my annual health check the cholesterol level was normal.

Please advise.
You can leave the skin as it is...that will not hurt anything.

It might not go away on its own but it shouldn't get bigger.

This issue is not from cholesterol. The pharmacist is confusing this skin thing with xanthelasma, which is totally different.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD