Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Dear Doctor, For about two weeks I have an oval cloud from

Customer Question

Dear Doctor,
For about two weeks I have an oval cloud from the middle to the left in my right Eye. My Eye sight has always exeptional good for my age. I will be 79 in August. I went to see my Optomologist and he told me I have Gell behind my Eye.I went for a second opinion to an other Eye docter this mor ning, and he will make an appointm. with a Specialist.

Could you tell me what this cloud is?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : I'm sorry to say that a description of gel behind the eyes is unfortunately not terribly helpful. Everyone has gel in the back of there I called the vitreous jelly. Perhaps what this doctor meant is that the vitreous jelly is pulling on the retina and causing fluid to accumulate in the retina because of this traction. This is called the vitreomacular adhesion (VMA). It is also possible, given your age, that you have either wet macular degeneration or have had some small vascular occlusion in the retina causing swelling in the retina. Ultimately it is going to be an appointment with a retina specialist which will delineate the exact cause of this area that you are seeing abnormally. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : It's also possible that this could be a collection of the vitreous jelly which is detached from the rest of the jelly and floating in front of your retina. This is called a posterior vitreous detachment. Some people just refer to these as floaters. This would be a very common event in and of itself and ends up being usually nothing to worry about long as the retina were okay.
Customer:

thank you for your answer.I will have to wait what the specialist has to say about this.

Doctor DanB : Youre welcome. Do you have any other questions about this?
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology