Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

For DrThomasMD only. Cloud of dust and dirt got into eyes.

For DrThomasMD only.

Cloud of dust and dirt got into eyes. Went into nearby Dept store public bathroom. Turned on cold water, wrapped finger with kleenex tissue, wet it and started to flush out eyes. Finger (which touched faucet handle) pushed through wet tissue and came into direct contact with white of eye. This is well used bathroom so someone else had used the sink only about 1 minute before me.
Question: Was I at any risk for getting STDS (especially syphilis). And if so, would I have
exhibited conjunctivitis of some sort shortly thereafter? Are you able to reassure me
on this one. I have great faith in your expert opinions.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

DrThomasMd is not online at the moment. I am an eye surgeon and very knowledgeable about this topic. Would you like my assistance or would you rather wait for DrT?

Customer:

Hi doctor. I type slowly

Dr. Rick :

That is OK. I type fast so, together, we will be typing at a very good, medium, speed ;)

Customer:

OK

Dr. Rick :

How long ago was this event?

How does you eye look and feel at this moment?

Customer:

Over two and a half weeks ago. Eye appears OK no irritation.

Dr. Rick :

Thank you for that information.

Dr. Rick :

Let me address your question. The eye has a very effective barrier to prevent infection involving not only the eyelashes, tear film, antibodies in the tears but also a very effective physical cover over the cornea.

Customer:

OK

Dr. Rick :

With the episode you have described, where there was no cut or physical injury to your globe or conjunctiva, there is NO chance of catching any STD, including herpes, HIV, syphilis, chlamydia etc.

Dr. Rick :

You are fine and have nothing to worry about at all.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

There was no physical injury. And am I correct in assuming that any such STD would have caused a considerable

Customer:

reaction by now

Dr. Rick :

Yes, if you had an infection you would have manifested some sort of evidence of it, such as conjunctivitis....which you have not....

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? You did not get any sort of eye infection from this unfortunate incident.

Customer:

That is a relief. May I ask one more thing? Since these eyes have been around for a while is it normal to manifest

Customer:

small clear jelly like substance which sometime comes it seems on the white of eye. No irritation with it. Washes out with natural tear drops

Dr. Rick :

That is just the natural "goop" that people have in their eyes, myself included. It is made up of proteins, fibrin and the stuff floating around in the air. Nothing to worry about, just continue to use the natural tears.

Customer:

To sum up I am not to worry about STDS in this case. I have an abnormal fear of this which I am fighting any way I can.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad you are fighting your fears on this and I'm happy I could help you to understand that this is nothing to be concerned about. :)

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss or have all your questions been answered at this point?

Customer:

Thank you so much doctor, under the circumstances you have given me great relief and also things I did not know about the eye. There is nothing else I have to ask. Thank you again.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest