Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I discovered a lump under my skin, about an 1" from the base

I discovered a lump under my skin, about an 1" from the base of my penis in the public region... it was not sore. Bc I a have terminal fear of HSV2, I took note & kept an eye on it... couple days later I noted that the lump was sore... upped my exams... noted the skin around the lump chaffing a bit & washed it frequently. W/in 5 days, it burst after a routine washing & I noted some pus & the a bit of blood. I cleaned it thoroughly & over the next 4 days it has healed each day. I spent a lot of time concerned it might be HSV2 (in part from too much internet research). I am thinking after researching boils in the groin region that may be the culprit. I am active sexually, am HSV1 positive, take antivirals daily for suppression (no outbreaks in 5 years), and my partner is not HSV2 positive. Does a boil sounds like the most logical reality? Note* A day or two before discovery, I caught this exact area with my trimmer (I dont think I broke the skin, but I didn't exam closely.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi Doc... freaked out male here... help me out.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. :)

Dr. Rick :

Thank you for that excellent description.

Dr. Rick :

Given the way the bump has behaved I am 99% sure that what you have is, indeed, a boil...also known as a furuncle.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? You have done the right thing in the way you have taken care of it at home

Dr. Rick :

Since it is already draining there is no need for antibiotic therapy or medical intervention (incision and drainage)

Customer:

Added variable... I was exposed to HSV2 3 years ago... 4 months of unprotected sex w/HSV2 positive female that had never had an outbreak and was also on antivirals (her HSV1 could be severe.... I went through a round of testing for a year and all neg.

Dr. Rick :

And, since, I realize that you are concerned about how this may be related to your HSV2 I can tell you that this is a totally separate thing and you have no worries in this regard.

Customer:

What is the chance that it was laying dormant and has shown up (this is the basic source of my paranoia).

Dr. Rick :

As you know, many different types of stresses can cause your HSV2 to flair up and this mild infection -- while it is very unlikely to cause an HSV2 outbreak to come on -- rarely could do so...

Customer:

I dont have HSV2... I have HSV1... I have never tested positive for HSV2...

Customer:

the antivirals have kept the HSV1 dormant for 5 years.

Dr. Rick :

This lump is not from your HSV1, which as you know hangs out in your spine between outbreaks, raising it's head. OOps....My mistake. on the HSV2....

Dr. Rick :

Since you have tested negative for HSV2, even with the exposure to the girlfriend with it, makes me even more confident that you have no need to worry about that being what is going on here.

Customer:

right... I know... but with regard to having been exposed 3 years ago... the internet research made me very concerned that the combo of my taking antivirals, the virus's tendancy to lay dormant, and the skin trama (if that is what it was), caused the dormant HSV2 to suddenly show up

Dr. Rick :

You have a boil......it is draining. No need to worry at this point. Everything will be ok.

Customer:

OK... so the fact that the it looks in the healing process strangely (or paranoidly) like a healing cold sore (at times) shouldn't concern me?

Dr. Rick :

That is the the problem with Dr. Google....it is hard to put all the information together. That is why Just Answer was invented, so you can talk live with a person who went to school for over half of their natural lives :-)

Customer:

Well I will get tested to be sure... but this FREAKED me like I will never truly be able to articulate...

Customer:

Thank you for your time... there is a chance I will sleep tonight

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. From what you have posted this is not a cold sore. I call this the "duck theory of medicine: If it walks like a duck, flies like a duck and quacks like a duck then...it is a duck"

Customer:

please elaborate...

Dr. Rick :

This is a boil, not a HSV2 cold sore. It has acted like a boil, not a cold sore....hence the duck theory applies :)

Dr. Rick :

lol!

Customer:

LOL... smart and witty is a dangerous combo Doc!

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes you just gotta smile to make it through the day ;)

Customer:

It does... the power of psychosomatic thought is a POWERFUL beast

Dr. Rick :

I am glad you will be able to sleep better tonight. I was my pleasure to help you :)

Customer:

I can invent prodone and the sound of the word Prodone

Customer:

Thank you Good Sir!

Dr. Rick :

True!

Dr. Rick :

lol!

Dr. Rick :

Take care and let me know if I can help you again in the future.

Customer:

Ok... thanks Doc... Bless you... go pull another desperate soul out of the fire

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

Will do!

Dr. Rick :

Dinner first...my wife calls....

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.