Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Eye rash / bumps on outer corners

Left Eye

I've been battling an eye rash since January. It's situated on the outside corner and below both eyes and consists mainly of many individual red clusters, some of which contain a white or translucent dot. The dots cannot be popped like your traditional zit.

The description really fits this post:

Many years ago I had something similar and the doctor prescribed Fluorometholone Ophthalmic Ointment which did the trick pretty quickly. However, this occurrence seems different because the clusters are much more individual instead of a plain rash like eczema. I've gone to my local Dermatologist and she prescribed ProTopic. While it removed the redness of the bumps, the bumps themselves never cleared up. The research I've done points to something like periocular dermatitis, but for the life of me I can't figure out what I'd be allergic to. I'm allergic to pollen and dust mites, but it's not like I'm sneezing daily. The bumps come and go, do not hurt to the touch, sting, etc. They're mainly a visual annoyance, but by the 5th month, they've become really annoying.

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

The link you posted does not work. Can you resend it?

OK. Got it.

That looks like eczema with some secondary folliculitis.

The fact that the bumps have remained even though the Protopic has cleared up the skin otherwise goes along with this diagnosis.

At this point you should continue the ProTopic as directed. In addition, warm compresses, cleaning the skin with an antibacterial face cleaner, such as Cetaphil, at least twice a day should clear things up in a week or so.

If this doesn't do it, you may need an oral antibiotic.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr. Rick,

I don't have Cetaphil on-hand, but would a combination of Johnson& Johnson shampoo for the facewash and then , hydrogen-peroxide then neosporin do the trick?

I got the combination from another post on this site for a similar condition.

Yes, that should work. Give it a try for 3 days or so and see if it helps. If not, then you can get some cetaphil face wash.

I hope you feel better soon. Have a good evening :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've got an appointment tomorrow with a dermatologist. While the bumps have lessened, my eyes are still bothering me. One thing I should mention: tonight when I had a couple of glasses of white wine, both of my eyes became red and felt a little hot and swollen. Picture is linked. Does this still jive with your original diagnosis?

The picture did not come through.....

I don't think this event will give me enough new information to change my original diagnosis....

Let me know what the dermatologist says tomorrow.