Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Hello, due to job displacement and having to drive home roughly

Hello, due to job displacement and having to drive home roughly 1100 miles in a little over 24 hours, I am sleep deprived. My question is whether or not sleep deprivation mixed with the strain on your eyes from driving can cause a single eye (my dominant eye in this case) to view double vision?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes I am

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Why do you say dominant eye, is the other eye having poor vision?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the double vision ( diplopia) noticed with both the eyes open? Does the diplopia disappear on covering one eye?

Customer:

No, I have perfect vision, but my left eye is Dominant of the two, just as my right hand is more dominant than my left.

Customer:

Yes, I've covered the left eye and the double vision goes away.

Customer:

More specifically what I mean by dominant eye... I'm right handed, but I shoot a firearm left handed, as it's easier to aim with my left eye.

Customer:

My Occular Dominance is in my left eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Do you wear glasses or contact lenses? Is this the first time you have experienced diplopia? Is there any family history of diabetes or hypertension? Are you taking any medicines for any medical problems?

Customer:

No, I have 20/20 vision. This is the first time of experiencing diplopia, and there is no genetic history of diabetes. I'm also not taking any medications.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One final question- For how long has this diplopia persisted now? Is it associated with headache/nausea/vomiting /fever? Is the diplopia continuously present since it started?

Customer:

It started only a few hours ago while I was driving. Other than the usual aches from not getting any sleep since 13:00 yesterday, there is nothing out of the ordinary. No headches or anything.

Customer:

If I focus hard enough on something the Diplopia will go away for short time.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alright. It does look like strain or fatigue of your extraocular muscles ( the eye muscles which are responsible for eye movement) . The very fact that the answers to most of the questions I had asked were negative shows that there is no serious intraocular problem within the eye.Since the diplopia disappears on hard focus, there is likely to be a momentary eye muscle imbalance. However it should become alright after adequate rest and sleep.

Customer:

I figured as much, but I wanted to be sure of the matter. It bothered me that it was only in 1 eye and not both.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, diplopia is definitely a significant symptom which cannot be ignored. I guess it should disappear completely with rest and sleep. However just in case it persists beyond 24 hours ( even after good overnight sleep), it is better to consult your physician for a closer look ( very unlikely that you would need that).

Customer:

Alright, thank you very much.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince