Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

What causes situations when anywhere from a few hours to 2

What causes situations when anywhere from a few hours to 2 days for one eye to look smaller than the other eye? Thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you referring to one eye appearing smaller ( the palpebral aperture being narrowed) or was the upperlid drooping in one of the eyes?

Customer:

I think it's the upperlid drooping in one of the eyes. Like when a person looks in the mirror and one eye looks smaller or when one asks another person "Does this eye look smaller than this eye?" And the person responds "Yes."

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But the drooping of the upperlid has not persisted, right? At present the eyes appear are equal in appearance..?

Customer:

What is the palpebral aperture?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

the width between the two eyelids is called palpebral aperture.

Customer:

Yes, the condition goes away in a few hours to 2 days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you feel as if there is squeezing of the two lids such as in a forceful blink? Are there any other eye symptoms such as pain in the eye/ reduction in vision/ double vision?

Customer:

It could also be that the palpebral aperture was narrowed. I'm not sure which was the situation, only that one eye for a while to seem smaller than the other eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any known history of thyroid problems?

Customer:

No forceful blinks nor any other symptoms. Just temporarlily for an eye to appear smaller than the other.

Customer:

I do have hypothyroidism and I take 125 MCG of Synthroid once a day for it, but this was a situation that sometimes happened to me when I was in the 6th grade, when I had no thyroid problems.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would be difficult to comment without a proper eye exam whether one eye has a drooping of the lid or the other eye has a lid retraction ( widening of the palpebral aperture).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok.

Customer:

You were typing when I typed the information about hypothyroidism. Did you see my information?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, I did read that.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I was just wondering if it was more of thyroid ophthalmopathy .

Customer:

So, is there any reason why sometimes one eye is smaller than the other eye?

Customer:

For just a little while.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you have now mentioned that these symptoms have been observed even when you were in the 6th grade, it needs to be examined in detail.

Customer:

What is thyroid ophthalmopathy?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Had it been of recent onset only, we could have considered it to be a variant of thyroid ophthalmopathy or even a rare form of ptosis that of myasthenia gravis ( but is associated with generalised muscle weakness also).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thyroid ophthalmopathy is an autoimmune disease in which there are antibodies produced by the body against the thyroid antigens. This can be seen in euthyroid, hypothyroid or even hyperthyroid condition.

Customer:

The doctor would have known this and told me if I had it though when they have been taking blood from me to check my thyroid levels, right?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is characterised by various eye signs such as lid retraction ( one eye has a wide eyed look which can make the other eye appear smaller), proptosis ( protrusion of eye ball) and so on.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did you bring these symptoms to the notice of your treating physician?

Customer:

My doctor many times has taken blood from me to check my thyroid levels. If I had this condition, my doctor would have seen it in the blood he took from me, right?

Customer:

I didn't tell my doctor about this because it is very rare that it happens, very rare.

Customer:

I didn't think it was anything serious. I was just curious how it is caused?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, thyroid ophthalmopathy cannot be diagnosed by blood tests. It is done only after eye exam and a few eye tests such as ultrasound B scan of the orbit/CT scan orbit.