Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my left eye has a blurry light round it, weird like if you

Customer Question

my left eye has a blurry light round it, weird like if you were looking into a pond and the water is just swilling about?? just the left eye....i think the right eye is ok. i have no pain but it feels weird..
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Pearl.com

If the blurry light disappears after a few minutes or hours then it is most likely to be due to migraine ( the headache may not be present always, there are variants of migraine with absence of headache). The eye exam is invariable normal in case of migraine. But in case the blurry light persists then it is better to get the eye examined in detail by an ophthalmologist especially for the back of the eye ( retina and macula).

If the macula and retina too are found to be normal, then the most likely explanation for the blurry light is that of posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).In PVD the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

Please let me know if you have anything else to ask in this regard.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist