Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I accidentally got Activia yogurt and/or Suave shampoo around

I accidentally got Activia yogurt and/or Suave shampoo around or in my eye. I did my best to rinse them off but most likely it's an incomplete rinse. Since Activia yogurt has a lot of bacteria, would those grow rapidly if they got into one's eyes?

Can Suave shampoo harm the eyes if it's right next to the eyes, as opposed to in the eyes? (i.e., vapor)
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

You will be fine. The activia yogurt will not harm your eyes or cause any infection.

Also the suave shampoo will not harm your eyes, nor will the vapors.

So. What is the take home message? Everything will be OK. You have nothing to worry about when it comes to your eyes from this incident.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doesn't yogurt have a lot of microorganisms?

Actually, the bacteria and yeasts etc in yogurt are not the type that cause eye infections. This combined with your eyes own defenses against infection will keep you safe.

No need to worry at all from what you have posted.

Does this make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.