Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

About 3 months ago, I started to develop some neuropathy issues

About 3 months ago, I started to develop some neuropathy issues - burning feet, tingling in hands and feet. This comes and goes depending on the week. Just recently, I have developed a feeling that I can only describe as constant adrenaline rush, shakiness (is that a word), lack of focus in my eyes, more rapid heartbeat, higher than normal blood pressure, tremors in my hands if I tense up my arms, and still some tingling in hands. I also notice that my extremities very quickly go to sleep much faster than in the past - like the blood flow isn't getting to them properly. This all feels bizarre. I have been in some stress over the last 3 months, but have never experienced anything like this before. I am scared to death of all of the possible causes on the internet...I don't appear to have lost any strength in any limbs - I can still grip, can still jog, and can still lift the same amount of weight at the gym. I do have periods of the day better than others. The only medical issue that I can tell may have some bearing is some severe mid to low back pain that does get worse with physical activity. Thoughts on the above - it's driving me nuts. Would you classify this as nerve problems, maybe some type of heart condition, possible pre-diabetes related? I am a 41 year old male, 6'2" 250 lbs, athletic build, could use to lose some weight. I am a VP in Finance and sit at a desk typing most of the day. Please help. Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you been able to test your BP when you felt it was high? If so, what was the value?

Dr. Rick :

Thank your for that very informative post.

Dr. Rick :

Have you seen a physician for any of these symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

Do you take any medication or have any known medical problems?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes, I'm available

Customer:

yes, my blood pressure tested around 145/95 up to 150/105 over the last 3 months. I am getting ready to go take it again as I feel my heart is beating fast right now.

Customer:

The only medication I take is a nasal spray for allergies and OTC Zegarid.

Dr. Rick :

That is too high...you most likely need to be on medication for that.

Customer:

could that be causing the lack of eye focus, shakiness, etc.? even tingling in hands/feet?

Dr. Rick :

Possibly, but I would think it would need to be higher to cause all those symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

One thing that comes to mind is MS.

Customer:

yes, that is a concern of mine as was ALS, but ALS seemed to be more of a weakened limb or muscle. I don't feel any muscle weakness

Dr. Rick :

ALS is not that common....

Customer:

and typically ALS doesn't affect the eyes or at least that what it says online

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. The eyes are almost never affected with ALS.

Customer:

I can barely even focus on this computer monitor right now

Customer:

the only other thing that comes to mind is possible diabetes symptoms. My mother is Type 2 and unfortunately, I have been a large consumer of caffeinated soft drinks over my time and typically work in stressful environments. Do any of these line up with diabetes.

Dr. Rick :

Can you use your moms equipment to test your blood sugars, especially after fasting for 12 hours?

Customer:

What would be considered a bad sugar level?

Dr. Rick :

a normal fasting level is less then 100 mg/dl. A reading over 126mg/dl is suggestive of diabetes.

Customer:

ok - thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Random blood sugar testing is not of much value, unless it is over 200 and you have other symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you see your primary care MD and see what she says.

Customer:

have an appt tomorrow

Dr. Rick :

You could also travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a good plan :)

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Eric,

Sorry. The chat system froze up. Let me repost our chat here for you:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Have you been able to test your BP when you felt it was high? If so, what was the value?
Dr. Rick : Thank your for that very informative post.
Dr. Rick : Have you seen a physician for any of these symptoms?
Dr. Rick : Do you take any medication or have any known medical problems?
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat? Customer: yes, I'm available Customer: yes, my blood pressure tested around 145/95 up to 150/105 over the last 3 months. I am getting ready to go take it again as I feel my heart is beating fast right now. Customer: The only medication I take is a nasal spray for allergies and OTC Zegarid.
Dr. Rick : That is too high...you most likely need to be on medication for that. Customer: could that be causing the lack of eye focus, shakiness, etc.? even tingling in hands/feet?
Dr. Rick : Possibly, but I would think it would need to be higher to cause all those symptoms.
Dr. Rick : One thing that comes to mind is MS. Customer: yes, that is a concern of mine as was ALS, but ALS seemed to be more of a weakened limb or muscle. I don't feel any muscle weakness
Dr. Rick : ALS is not that common.... Customer: and typically ALS doesn't affect the eyes or at least that what it says online
Dr. Rick : That is correct. The eyes are almost never affected with ALS. Customer: I can barely even focus on this computer monitor right now Customer: the only other thing that comes to mind is possible diabetes symptoms. My mother is Type 2 and unfortunately, I have been a large consumer of caffeinated soft drinks over my time and typically work in stressful environments. Do any of these line up with diabetes.
Dr. Rick : Can you use your moms equipment to test your blood sugars, especially after fasting for 12 hours? Customer: What would be considered a bad sugar level?
Dr. Rick : a normal fasting level is less then 100 mg/dl. A reading over 126mg/dl is suggestive of diabetes. Customer: ok - thank you.
Dr. Rick : Random blood sugar testing is not of much value, unless it is over 200 and you have other symptoms.
Dr. Rick : I suggest you see your primary care MD and see what she says. Customer: have an appt tomorrow
Dr. Rick : You could also travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

Dr. Rick : Sounds like a good plan :)
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
Dr. Rick : Are you still there?
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I'm still here if you would like to continue talking.

I wish you the very best. Have a good day.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
The chat system froze up toward the end of our conversation....sorry about that.

Do you have any further questions for me or would you like to discuss anything in more depth? If so, I am here and available.

If we have covered everything to your satisfaction then....

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,

I was just thinking about you today and wondering what your GP found during your visit on Wednesday.

I hope everything is OK and you are on your way to feeling better already.

Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.