Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have had blood in my right eye twice in the last two months.Might

I have had blood in my right eye twice in the last two months.Might be bursted blood vessel.What is causing this and what if any treatment?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, you are right about it being a burst blood vessel. It is called sub-conjunctival hemorrhage(SCH).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In this condition the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva ( white part of the eye) get ruptured and bleed. It can occur under various circumstances such as excessive forceful coughing/sneezing, in hypertensive individuals, in those who are on blood thinning medicines such as low dose aspirin, following subtle eye injury or without any apparent reason too. It is self healing and will disappear within a week or two . In case of any other eye symptoms such as sudden reduction of vision , watering, discharge from the eyes , do get an eye check up done. But for a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage there is no need to visit an eye specialist.You can continue using the lubricating eye drops however.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hello Shirley,

Please let me if there is anything that I can answer for you in this regard.