Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello, I have low blood pressure and I spend most of the day

Hello, I have low blood pressure and I spend most of the day sitting with my legs elevated to some level otherwise I feel lightheaded. I get headaches and I feel dizzy after eating, so I'm not sure what foods I have to avoid. I feel like I might be hypoglycemic, so I did some blood tests recently. In the meantime, I'm avoiding sugar. The headaches started ever since I've been introducing dark chocolate into my meals. At first I thought it was because I haven't been sleeping well, but I get more than 8 hours of sleep, and the headaches don't go away. I wear glasses, so I also got my eyes checked and they're fine.

I've taken lots of antibiotics for severe re-current bladder infections during the months of February and March. I also had a Systoscopy done on April 23. I stopped taking Oxybutynin for the past 2 days because I wasn't sure if it was okay to take it with antihistamine reactine for sinus allergies. Based on this medical history I'm not sure if the headaches are a side-effect. I feel them more when I'm standing then when I'm sitting. I don't drink caffeine. I have Calcium and vitamin D syrup, I eat meat everyday to make sure I don't have low iron. I'm lactose intolerant that's why.

Today I ate sweet potatoes with black olives, and I had 1/4 cup of orange juice, then the headaches started again. Much help is appreciated.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How long has this been going on for?

have the doctors said why you get bladder infections so often?

have you had any blood tests done?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did a cystoscopy because I have a cyst on my bladder that is 1.2 x 1.7 x 1.2cm. They took a biopsy and it takes 5 weeks for the results to come out to determine whether the cyst is a tumour or not. I had 6 UTI's in the past two years. Each UTI lasting for more than a week due to the bacteria being resistant to the antibiotic. I've been taking oxybutynin since february 16. I've missed some pills before but for no more than 3-5 days. I have 60 more pills left of Ditropan. When I don't take Oxybutynin, I'm forced to go pee every 50 mins even if it's only a drop. So Ditropan helps me sleep in order for the bladder pain not to wake me up.

These past two days i haven't felt the urge to pee or anything but my throat felt dry so I took Reactine (antihistamine) in case it was my sinus but I only took one pill. I had occult blood test done a few days ago, I haven't heard back from them yet. But I had a blood test done in March and my hemoglobin was 11 due to constant diarrhea as side effects from all the antibiotics I took (Septra, Teva-Norfloxacin, and Ciprofloxacin). I did a c-difficile stool test but it was negative. I did another one a few days ago as well but I still haven't heard back. My headaches started five days ago I think.

Since I started the antibiotics in February, I had been taking Acidophilus and Bifidobacterium during the same period but the doctor at the clinic who sent me to do the blood and stool tests told me to stop taking them. I won't be seeing the doctor till next week.

So for the past 5 days, I've been having headaches that come and go, including lots of pressure that follows a pattern when I'm either eating or just lying down. When I woke up today, I didn't eat anything because I didn't have a headache and so I was afraid to eat. I ate at around twelve and the headaches started again. I feel them more when I stand up, but now that I'm lying down as I type this message, the pressure subsides a bit. I don't have a fever though, and I definitely don't have another bladder infection.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Katherine,

I see you have reposted your original note.

What question do you have?

Also, how long has this been going on for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My blood pressure keeps going up and down for the past 5 days. The headaches and dizziness start after I eat something. I'm just wondering if it's because I stopped taking ditropan for two days. If not, then why is it that when I don't eat or when I lie down with my legs elevated, the pressure is not so bad? Could it mean that I'm hypoglycemic? Because I do know that I have low blood pressure. That's the question. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Katherine,

Did you measure your blood pressure? If so, what was it when it was high and low?

You mentioned that you tested your blood sugar. Do you have a reading when you felt you were hypoglycemic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No but I have a history of fainting a lot so I can feel it when I'm light headed or when I'm suddenly filled with energy. But in past measurements it's been 90/70 the highest being 90/100 I think sometimes the systolic pressure goes below 90 from 86-88. I just feel the blood rush down to my feet. When I close my eyes and sleep with my legs elevated the headache goes away.

I did a blood test a few days ago but I didn't hear back on the results yet to find out if I'm hypoglycemic or not.

The headaches start after I eat, so I'm wondering if hypoglycemic individuals have certain food to stay away from, just so I can balance my blood pressure and try to stop the headaches. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm 156 cm tall (5 foot 1) and weigh about 110-115 pounds (50kg). I was told that my blood pressure was normal for a small body size.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Katherine,

Thank you for that extra information.

While your BP may normal for a person your size, your symptoms are not....

To answer your question, there are no specific foods that a person who is prone to hypoglycemia needs to stay away from. All food will, eventually, raise your blood sugar..this, of course, being regulated by insulin production etc.

It might be helpful for you to purchase a blood glucose monitor and keep a journal of your blood sugars so your doctor can get an idea of what is going on.

This is also true with your blood pressure. There are a number of inexpensive, but accurate semi-automatic monitors that you can easily use at home.

By collecting these data, and also making notes of how the readings correlate with your headaches and feelings of being light headed, you should be able to come up with a treatment plan to make things better.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Although these headaches started five days ago, could it be that it has no relation to me stopping oxybutynin? or because I've had constant diarrhea? The headaches start only after i eat, so if I were to fast all day I would be fine.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I do not think that the headaches are from stopping your oxybutynin.

But, constant diarrhea can cause all sorts of metabolic imbalances that could lead to a headache.

It does, however, seem strange to me that your headache would completely resolve if you fast, especially in the face of diarrhea, and suddenly come on with eating. That is very, very unusual.

It might be time to consult with a neurologist who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of headaches :(

Does this make sense to you?

As someone who has given 32 positive ratings in the past I am sure you are fully cognizant of the many benefits to be gained with the mashing of the excellent feedback button ;-)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest