Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have 2-week contact lenses, which I wear infrequently --

Customer Question

I have 2-week contact lenses, which I wear infrequently -- maybe twice a week. Since I wear them less often, is it OK to keep using them for 2-3 months?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What is the brand name you are using?
What is your Rx (on the box)?
what do you store them in?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi,brand: Acuvue Oasys
Rx: -5.5 / 8.4
storing: Opti-Free express / no-rubThanks!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that extra information.
While the "party line" would be to tell you to throw them out and get a new pair every two weeks.....I must confess, you should be OK to use them at that rate for a couple of months.
There is a higher risk of getting an eye infection (corneal ulcer) since the solution and the case you are storing the lens in is not sterile, even though it is clean. This might cause bacteria to grow on the lens and, if you were to get a scratch on your eyeball, case an ulcer.
So. What is the take home message? You will probably be OK as long as you are careful, but there are risks....
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS