Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My son has a cyst in the eyeball. The doctor said that he

Customer Question

My son has a cyst in the eyeball. The doctor said that he has lost some vision permantently. Please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was the doctor who examined your son an ophthalmologist (MD)?

Dr. Rick :

What is your son's current best corrected vision in that eye right now?

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me more about this cyst? Where is in his eye, etc.....

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

It was his regular eye doctor he has seen for the past 6 years.

Customer:

Current vision 20/20 however cyst has impaired his vision somewhat

Customer:

Cyst is found when the picture of the eye was taken after dialation of the eye

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Was this doctor an optometrist? Or does your son's eye doctor do cataract surgery in addition to eye exams? Was this cyst found by suprise when the picture was taken?

Customer:

He does no surgery and it was a suprise as he was seen 5 months ago and nothing was found at this time. He is an optometrist I believe. He referring us to a vinacular eye specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. This issue is way beyond the pay grade of an optometrist. I am glad he is sending your son to a retina specialist ---- I have been practicing as a retina surgeon for over 20 years. When is your son's appointment with the specialist?

Customer:

We do not have one at this time due to the fact he just went today at 6pm. This is why we contacted you. We are very concerned. Please help.

Customer:

We should have a referral tomorrow however we were looking for peace of mind regarding the issue. Please help.

Dr. Rick :

Well, let me tell you something. In my many years of practice, when an optometrist refers a perfectly healthy teenager with 20/20 vision, an otherwise normal eye exam and some "strange finding" noted when taking a picture of the retina (that the optometrist can't even give a name to or offer a differential diagnosis list for....) then....

Customer:

Dr. Rick are you there?

Dr. Rick :

There is usually nothing to be worried about.

Dr. Rick :

Optometrists are buying very nice camera's nowadays that allow them to see things that they never saw before....things I've been looking at since Medical School in the 80's.....

Dr. Rick :

As a father of 5 kids myself, I would not worry about what this optometrist has told you.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you see the retina specialist and then you will know exactly what is going on. In my experience, 9.5 times out of 10 everything will be OK

Customer:

Please explain further. The doctor already said he has loss of permant vision. We are scared? Medically speaking ? is that all?

Dr. Rick :

Without knowing more about what the optometrist found I can't say what he saw that concerns him so much.....I'm sure you can understand that....

Dr. Rick :

But, what I can tell you is, given what you have told me, I am 99.5% sure it is not a blinding condition

Dr. Rick :

and what the optometrist has seen that has scared him so much is just something that he doesn't have enough training to know about so it wants to sent your son off to someone who does.

Dr. Rick :

He should not, in my opinion, and from what you have told me about your son, scared you like he has by telling you vision has already been lost forever....I DO NOT believe that is true.

Customer:

Ok, wish i had a doctor in the family though. But this is the next best thing. Thank you. If you have any tile questions iam your guy.

Dr. Rick :

I just put tile in the kitchen a few months ago....messed it up and phoned a friend who does tile work :) I learned the hard way

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith,

I was wondering if your son has seen the retina specialist yet. If you have a chance I'd be happy to go over the notes with you and explain exactly what is going on.

Take care and have a good day.

Dr.Rick MD FACS