Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello, I have swollen red dry eyes...they have been this

I have swollen red dry eyes...they have been this way for 2 weeks. My primary care has treated me for allergies and it is not working. Claritin.... I am trying to get an appointment with an opthamologist.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. What kind of eye drops are you using? For how long? Are the eyes and/or lids itchy?

I believe it is Zanitor. Eyes are fine, lids are itchy red swollen and cracked.

Doctor DanB : While Zaditor is a fine drop to continue using, you only need to take it if your eyes are itchy. If they aren't, it won't do you much good. However, as far as your red, swollen and itchy eyelids, this is called allergic dermatitis. The Claritin, while often times not enough by itself, is a good thing to continue to take to help blunt the body's overall allergic response; you just need some localized treatment as well. I would recommend getting some 1% hydrocortisone ointment (also OTC) and rubbing that on the affected skin areas (not in the eyes) twice daily. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.Doing all of these things as directed, it still may take a few days before you notice a significant lessening of the overall symptoms, but the itching should start to respond to this quickly.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!