Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My seven year old daughter has seasonal allergies to spring

My seven year old daughter has seasonal allergies to spring trees. She is taking Claritin every morning and evening. Can I give her "Thera Tears allergy eye itch relief drops" (antihistamine eye drops) in addition to Claratin? I ask because the natural tears drops I've been giving her every morning and every night do not seem to remove the itchiness in her eyes.
Lubricant eye drops will not be able to give any relief from itching due to allergies and would require a more specific anti-histaminic eye drops such as Olopatadine (Pataday eye drops are prescription eye drops).As of now you can give Thera Tears allergy eye itch relief drops, 1 drop twice a day and look for symptomatic relief. For mild allergies this should prove effective. But in case she does not get the desired relief with this eye drops after 2 weeks of use then it is better to go with the prescription eye drop Pataday ( which has additional mast cell stabilising properties and is very effective in ocular allergy).
Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
I am just following up with you to know how your daughter is doing now? Has the itching sensation subsided ? If no, then it is better to start with Pataday eye drops for which you can consult your eye doctor. It is more effective tha Ketotifen eye drops.