Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I went to the optamologist ten days ago with the following

I went to the optamologist ten days ago with the following symptoms, seeing darker shadows, a tint over everything I look at, sometimes spots or patches over what I'm looking at, he told me my eye was dry and gave me drops to use, I ended up going back to today and saw another doctor because the one I went to the first time was on vacation, he seemed to do a more extensive exam today and dialated both eyes and told me I had a little fluid under the macula in my right eye, he told me he thinks I have a little CSR going on but had me make an appointment with a retina specialist and its June 18th, a couple questions, why didn't the doctor see this a week ago and he said its a possibility that's its CSR, would they have seen anything else that's dangerous today?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. CSR, especially when it only involves a small amount of fluid in the retina, can be difficult to detect. However...
Doctor DanB : it becomes impossible to detect if you're not looking for it. All I can say is sometimes a certain doctor may not think about a certain disease process to consider for a certain set of symptoms. If there is nothing else visible on exam them its quite unlikely it's anything more dangerous. Let me tell you a bit more about CSR so it's not such a daunting thought...
Doctor DanB : This is a disorder of the choroid (tissues underlying the retina) where there is a small, pinpoint leakage of fluid that collects under the retina that can cause a discoloration to the vision and/or centralized blurring or blind spot. The etiology of this is unknown; there are no identifiable causes, but it tends to happen in the Type A personality for some reason. This diagnosis can be verified by your ophthalmologist who can do a fluorescein angiogram test (a test where some dye is injected into an IV in your arm and pictures are taken of your retina as the dye flows through the retinal blood vessels, enabling documentation of where there is leaking). Thankfully, CSR is a problem that usually fully resolves on its own over the course of 2-3 months and the resolution can even be hastened with the use of a laser if absolutely essential.
Doctor DanB : does all this make sense?
Customer: Well on the doctors note from today which I got a copy of it says possible CSR, does that mean if its not then its something even more terrible?
Doctor DanB : No, not even close to being likely. In someone young and healthy like yourself it is very likely CSR and the chances of this being scary are very small.
Customer: Well I'm 34 but not ver healthy, I have lost about 25 pounds but still have a lot more to lose, I'm in sales and have a very stressful job and I read that this is one of the causes, also my appointment with the retina specialist is June 18th, can I wait that long and what if it gets worse?
Doctor DanB : Yes, you can wait that long; in fact many times precisely what is needed for this to resolve is just time. You're right that stress can play a role in this. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer: Well the optamologist didn't do that angiogram, and what will the appointment at the retina specialist be like?
Doctor DanB : Similar, a complete dilated eye exam but with an angiogram and probably an OCT scan of the retina.
Customer: What's an oct scan?
Customer: And if the optamologist can do both exams why didn't he?
Doctor DanB : Many ophthalmologists don't have access to either test equipment or some only have one. I can't do angiograms in my office but can do OCT. I can't imagine him not doing them if he has access to them. OCT = optical coherence tomography which is like a CAT scan of the retina using light instead of X-rays to get the images.
Customer: What else could this be? And am I going to lose my vision?
Customer: What else could this be? And am I going to lose my vision?
Doctor DanB : Do you have diabetes? Any other medical problems?
Customer: I was pre diabetic a year ago, I just went for my physical two days ago and they tested my sugar which was 106 so slight above, they didn't do any bloodwork though
Customer: I'm just really worried
Doctor DanB : It's possible that this could be related to diabetes, and rarely to myopia (nearsightedness), butbonlybin people who are quite nearsighted. I don't know if you are or not. But try not to worry. Most people with this dont permanently lose their vision and time actually tends to help with this. The overwhelming odds are that this is CSR.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the doctor told me yesterday that I didn't have diabetes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So can a pinpoint leakage cause all these vision symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
????????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I could ask more questions
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, a pinpoint leakage in precisely the right spot could definitely cause these symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why does it seem like its worse, is that just my anxiety over this since it started like 12 days ago, I wouldn't think it would be worse over night
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
No, this generally doesn't worsen noticeably overnight. You are most likely letting your anxiety run amok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent u the scan