Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

Hi, I have a question for an ophthalmic surgeon. I had a YAG

Hi, I have a question for an ophthalmic surgeon. I had a YAG laser capsulotomy yesterday and everything went well; however, I have several string like floaters now since the surgery. The doctor did say I would probably notice some pieces of the capsule which would look like floaters. Will these go away (disintegrate or get absorbed) or are they just like vitreous floaters that never go away? If they do go away about how many weeks does it normally take. Thanks for any help - I couldn't find much about this on the web.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Hi, thanks.

Dr. Tom :

Hi...this is an issue I deal with very frequently. Give me a minute to type your answer.

Dr. Tom :

I'm happy that your YAG went smoothly. You are correct that the fragments of the cloudy posterior capsule disintegrate or get absorbed. Also gravity will usually help the fragments move out of the line of sight through the pupil while they are absorbing. Most patients only notice the floater like particles for a few days, and in the vast majority there is no further awareness after a week or so. Does that information provide the information you needed?

Dr. Tom :

Please let me know if you have any further questions about your YAG.

Yes thanks for the help

Hi Karen,

This is just to see how you've been getting along since our chat about your YAG?

Please let me know if any new questions about your eyes.

You can direct new questions to me directly if you liked my service.

Wishing for you the best of health,

Dr. Tom