Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello,My mom has a severe and rare form of wet macular

Customer Question

My mom has a severe and rare form of wet macular degeneration in both eyes. In fact, I have seen 3 different diagnoses for her condition. In any event, my question is somewhat logistical. My mom now lives with me. She has a caretaker during the day. I am really bleeding money to support her. How do people do this? Are there resources for families of the blind that might provide financial assistance? Or even support groups for the blind? I'm sure I can call the Braille Institute, by my mom is so resistant to that place. I was just hoping there were some federal programs to offer me some assistance. I am now at the point where it seems it might be better for me to not work and instead just help her. thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 3 years ago.

My name is Camille and I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Expert:  NCFamilyDoc replied 3 years ago.

Yes, there are several places that can possibly help you. Can you tell me what state you live in? How old is your mother? Does she have Medicare? Medicaid? Private insurance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We live in California. My mom is 74. She has Medicare and Anthem as secondary insurance. These do not cover care, I don't believe.

I think there may be special programs for the blind, however....?