Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I am told I have cataracts in both eyes. I am about to see

I am told I have cataracts in both eyes. I am about to see an ophthalmologist. I want to be a knowledgeable patient and as free from fear as is possible for someone who is frightened. My optometrist drew the cataracts. One eye has them in a wreath, circular, converging on my eyeball. The other eye has one huge cataract and three tiny ones. The huge one, like a flag in appearance, is approaching my eyeball. I have general anaesthesia cautions. Is laser surgery the best thing and how long is one hospitalized, what is pain like and what is given for it? Will one have any problems with eyesight following surgery?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. First of all, general anesthesia is almost never used for cataract surgery. Instead, usually a combination of topical anesthesia and IV sedation are used to allow you to be comfortable, but awake for surgery.
Doctor DanB : For the most part, cataract surgery does not usually involve lasers. For the vast majority of patients, cataract surgery is accomplished entirely by ultrasound. There are a few people who are beginning to use laser to assist the ultrasound removal of the cataract, but even when this is used, it is just to make incisions in the eye, and the laser is not used to actually remove the cataract. Also, it is practically unheard of to be hospitalizaed for cataract surgery. Usually it is done as an outpatient surgery in an ambulatory surgery center, where you go home shortly after the surgery. Pain is also minimal to none in the vast majority of people. You are usually quite comfortable during and after surgery.
Doctor DanB : Most people have some level of blurry vision for a few days after surgery, but many people are seeing very well the same day or the next day after surgery. While cataract surgery is major surgery, most people do so very well with the surgery process itself and I hear many of my patients, as they get up from the surgery bed, exclaim, "That was it?!?" They are very surprised when they realize how little it puts them out. Does all this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?      It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!