Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

Hello Dr. I am DS Rajan a University Professor in Ethiopia,

Customer Question

Hello Dr. I am DS Rajan a University Professor in Ethiopia, Africa. Since last couple of days I had burning sensation and irritation more in my right eye and less in my left eye. the burning sensation is subsided now but the irritation continues. I could see a zig zag reddish line in my right white eye which seems increasing. It is there both at the bottom and above the white eye of my right eye. However, this is not there in my left eye. I feel very much discomfort due to irritation. However, my sight in both eyes is normal. I wear reading glasses. I, in fact got tested my eye on April 05,2013 at Vasan Eye Care facility at Hyderabad, India when I was there for vacation.All tests are normal and no problems in the eye and Dr. Srinivas B Sivagangri prescribed Fresh Tears drops for 15 days/one month as he could see some dryness in my eyes. Further, I request you to clarify a doubt that whether + and - power in Cylindrical is similar. My Chennai opthomologist prescribed + 0.75 CYL while Vasan Eye Care prescribed -0.75 CYL. I started wearing the galsses dispensed by Vasan Eye Care, that is with - CYL Power. Could that be the cause for this present episode?. I rely much on your answer as we do not have opthomologists nor any eye clinics in the area where my University is situated which is 327 KMs south of the Capital Addis Ababa. I am a male and I am aged 61 not diabetic, with no probelms with my lipids and BP is 120/80. I am not obese either. Thank you doctor
Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started.Since you appear to be off line now, I will wait until I hear back from you to get started. Dr. Tom
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hello Professor Rajan ,

I'll first address your question about + or - CYL. Eye glass scrips can be correctly written in plus or minus cylinder formula. It is because the manufactures of the refracting equipment make the phoropters in either format, and that doctors can usually work well with either.

But don't worry.....the cylinder type can not have had any bearing on the " burning sensation and irritation more in my right eye " you describe. That sounds much more like irritation from dry spots on your eyes for which "Dr. Srinivas B Sivagangri prescribed Fresh Tears drops for 15 days/one month as he could see some dryness in my eyes." That certainly sounds like the proper treatment. An antibiotic like Gentamycin works well for infections, but probably is not going to help with the irritation. Often increasing the frequency of Fresh Tear applications up to four or five times daily is helpful. The red line you mentioned is likely just a small conjuntival blood vessel that is working over time to help your eye fight the dry eye situation.

Please let mew know if this has helped answer your questions/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr. Thanks for your prompt reply. The irritation in my right eye at the bottom right edge is still there. Especially I feel it more so while I close my eyes, I feel discomfort at the right bottom edge of the right eye. The red lines is still there in the right eye both at the bottom and top of my white eye. My ' refresh teras' solution is almost over. Locally , I find in a pharmacy a solution called 'Eyemist Forte' (hypromellose Opthalmic Solution USP. The local pharmacist says it is for Dry Eyes. The composition is as follows.

Each ml Contains:

Hydroxpropyl Methy cellulose IP 3 mg,

Sodium Perborate BP 0.028%w/v,

Aqueous Buffered Vehicle q.s,

It contains dextron 70. Glycerin,

Buffering Agents,

Tonicity Adjusting Agents

Please advise me whether I can use it as a replacement for 'Refresh Tears (Carboxy-Methylcellouse Sodium Lubricant Eye Drops 0.5% w/v).

Moreover, I seek your advise with regard to my Computer work-hours . Professionally I am obliged to advise 7 PhD students currently. I normally work 3 to 4 hours a day with computer.

Warm Regards

DS Rajan

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

'Eyemist Forte' (hypromellose Opthalmic Solution USP. would be a good substitute for Refresh Tears.

Computer work-hours won't damage eyes.....but the normal blink rate decreases with concentration.....we often recommend the use of artificial tears at times of intense reading.

I hope our chat has been helpful....best wishes.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr. As I mailed you earlier that I would revert in a week, I submit that I am perfectly OK now. The eye irritation has totally gone and the reddish line almost disappeared. I used, as advised by you, refresh tears drops 4 times a day for six days. I am fine. I greatly appreciate your most appropriate medical advice in this regard. I would be grateful to get an advice on the precautions that I should take to protect my eyes as I work with computers 4 hours on daily average 7 days a week. Thank you Dr. Tom. Warm regards
DS Rajan

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for letting me know your good outcome.

Computer work Does not cause eye injury or disease. It can cause fatigue from reduced blinking rates.
Use of the artificial tears will help you in that regard as well.

Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Tom. Warm Regards

Rajan