Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a light pinkish color lump or growth under the upper

I have a light pinkish color lump or growth under the upper eyelid at the outer corner. It is painless and has been there for years and I never thought much about it. You can only see it if I raise my eyelid up by pressing toward the outer portion of my eyebrow. When I close my eyes and look down, I can actually feel it through my eyelid and when I push on it, it moves back up under my eye socket. I have a small lump on the other eye in close to the same position but it doesn't look to be as big. What could this be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

What you are seeing is called your tarsal plate. It is a layer of strong tissue that makes up the supporting structure of your upper eyelid and gives the muscles that lift your lid a place to attach.

It is completely normal.

Here is kinda a picture of what the tarsal plate looks like when you raise your upper eyelid as seen in the bottom right image:

http://www.nature.com/eye/journal/v20/n9/images/6702141f1.jpg

So. What is the take home message? This is normal and nothing to worry about.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My lump doesn't really look like the image. It is at only the corner of my eye and is a soft looking lump of tissue that is the same color as the rest of the my eye lid. This lump starts at the outer corner and goes up just a little way under the upper lid. It is located just below the lacrimal gland and has me worried it may be a tumor or something bad like that. I have a smaller little lump on my other eye but it is not as big nor does it go up as high as the other one. I really have no symptoms from it and it is not painful.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I was not able to find a good picture online, but from what you have described I am very certain that what you are looking at is your tarsal plate.

I know that "Dr. Google" will tell you it is all sorts of horrible and deadly things, like a lacrimal gland tumor, but I assure you that you are seeing your tarsal plate. Don't believe everything you read online....

Of course, the best way to be sure is to have an ophthalmologist examine your eyes....but if I'm right then you owe me an "Atta Boy!" OK? OK.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will see an eye doctor soon, but it has been worrying me because I saw some pictures online that look like my "lump" and they are labeled as "sarcoidosis", "tumors", and "lymphoma". Can the tarsal plate be bigger on one side than it is on the other? Is it at the very corner on the outer portion of the eye? I know I am not an expert, but it doesn't look like something that would be labeled as a plate. Can it present itself as a roundish lump of soft spongy tissue? Thanks in advance!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It the tarsal plate does look bigger on one side or the other depending on how you move and evert the upper lid. The plate bunches up -- it is not made of steel -- and can look like a roundish lump. I've examined thousands of tarsal plates and it is true....

In 20 years of clinical practice, every single patient who has come to my clinic with a chief complaint like yours has been looking at their tarsal plate. None of them had all the terrible things Dr. Google says you have...although I have treated patients with all those bad things you mentioned above...

So. Really. You should trust me.

And you should mash the positive feedback button, too. :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So it is normal for one eye to have this mass of tissue and not the other eye? It is a lump of tissue in one corner of only one eye and only in the corner going up to the edge of the upper eye lid. Just like the pictures I saw of sarcoidosis. When you raise the edge of the eyelid up (not turn it inside out) there is a mass of tissue in one eye and it is only there in that corner. It becomes more visible when I look down and toward the nose. The images I looked up of the tarsel plate look like they go along the upper eyelid, while my problem is only in the corner. I hope I am explaining this well enough =). Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
As you said in your original post you see a bump, although smaller, in the other eye.

There would be a lot of other signs and symptoms if you had sarcoidosis or any of the other conditions you are worried about..

You have explained things very well. I am sure you do not have any horrible disease and you are seeing your tarsal plate.

It is time to mash the positive feedback button. I will continue to go over the finer points of this issue should you so desire after you do so.

Have a wonderful evening.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest