Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have been waking up with swelling around the right eye which

I have been waking up with swelling around the right eye which dissipates after a few hours. no pain or tenderness and minor redness.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Have the ice and benadyl been helping? How long has this been happening? Is it itchy? Do you have seasonal allergies?

The ice seems to reduce the swelling and the benadryl seems to help but only after a few hours so I am not clear on the benadryl. This has been happening for 4 days and began with more severe swelling which included my cheek under the eye. I went to the doctor and he perscribed Predisone - saying it was probably contact dermatitis. It does not itch and I sometimes have seasonal allergies but not this year so far.

Doctor DanB : Do you have sinus problems / congestion?

no sinus problems whatsoever and no congestion

Doctor DanB : Is there any focal hardness or swelling amongst the general swelling?

no, is soft tissue all the way around

Doctor DanB : Is it swollen right now?

i sleep on my fasce

Doctor DanB : On that side?

sometimes but i believe i sleep on either side throughout the night. difficult to tell.

Doctor DanB : Is it swollen now?

swelling is slight maybe 5%

is a bit swollen though - that is clea

Doctor DanB : Do you have any medical problems? Like diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney problems, obesity, high cholesterol?

very low blood pressure

Doctor DanB : Do you live in a hot climate or is the room you sleep in hot?

no is cold room. i excercise regularly and weight is good

Doctor DanB : Can you take a picture of the swelling and attach it to your next reply?

okay one moment

Full Size Image

Doctor DanB : Your left eye?

my right eye. above the ilid is where the swelling usually is most pronounced. if you look at the two eyes the right eye looks less open

Doctor DanB : Okay, I can see what you're talking about. Based on everything you've told me, I don't have any reason to think this is anything serious. It's quite possible that this is a localized, temporary fluid imbalance that is happening in an around the eye on the right side and that it will resolve spontaneously. I don't have any suspicion that there is anything else serious or a specific disease process happening here. I would recommend that you start sleeping with the head of your bed elevated about 30 degrees for the next several days, use cool compresses and try to limit your sodium intake (which can exacerbate swelling in the body. Does this make sense?

Yes makes sense. Thank YOU!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long does a localized temporary fluid imbalance take to dissipate on average? My right eye is still swollen. More pronounced in the morning and tends to decrease throughout the day. Is there any prescription medicine or minor in-office procedure that one can consider doing?

It really depends on what's causing it. I would recommend seeing your primary care doctor to determine if you are retaining fluids for any and what reason.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I better monitor my sleep position more vigorously. Your advice makes sense. I will do so Monday since there is no pain and this way i will give it 48 more hours to lesson. thx

You're welcome. Good luck.