Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Dr. Rick~I wrote to you earlier and they took my Visa amount

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Rick~I wrote to you earlier and they took my Visa amount and put it my account~ so they said~I did not hear back from you however~Linda saw the Retina Specialist today and she said she does not have macular degeneration~ but a condition called Polypoidal or some such name~ needles will not help that and she has to get a form of laser~I find it odd that my Doctor and you and Dr. Dan all said Macular degneration and not one of you mentioned what she has~ it sounds like the symptoms are much
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

That weird. I answered your question.... Here is what I wrote:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Yes. Polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy is a condition that I deal with fairly frequently in my practice.
Dr. Rick : It can be easily confused with wet macular degeneration unless the doctor has a lot of retina experience. Like ARMD, it occurs later in life, although polypoidal tends to occur in slightly younger, around age 65 or so, patients.
Dr. Rick : This can be a difficult condition to treat. In the past I had some success using photodynamic therapy.
Dr. Rick : Drugs like avastin, while they can improve vision by decreasing macular thickness, in many cases the polyps remain and can cause a relapse.
Dr. Rick : I must admit, this disease is one of the few things that motivates me to pull my PDT equipment out of the closet, dust it off and put it to use.
Dr. Rick : Martha,

Thanks for letting me know how Linda is doing. Please give her my best and assure her that she is not suffering from an unknown disease.....every retina specialist knows how to take care of this condition.
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

You should check with customer service and see what happened with your billing and inability to see my answer to your first post. Here is the link to the question so you can show it to customer service:

http://www.justanswer.com/eye-health/7qg97-hi-dr-rick-i-just-writing-tell-linda.html

Sorry about the technical glitch :(

Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Again~I did not hear from you until now~ is this as bad as macular degeneration~her Specialist ~ her regular one that is~ also said it was not that~ but from what you say the symptoms are much the same~ yet no one mentioned this disorder as a possibility~she said everyone in the Office was yellow in color and she has to go to Halifax for the treatment~ she said it was not laser as such~ but a type of laser~ what does that mean and is it completely cureable~the Doctor also said when she asked why just one eye and not the other~ that much like arthritis it can affect only one part~ you are not the only one who missed the name~ my own Doctors did also and not one mentioned the disorder she has~ it seems the needles were given in vain~ as she said they don't help what she has~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Many times people forget to think about this condition...that is why Retina specialists were invented :)

The type of laser they are talking about is what I mentioned above that I do in my office, called PDT -- sometimes referred to as "cold" laser-- which is done after a medicine, called Visudyne, is slowly put into her vein. The laser activates the drug, which closes off the polyps.

She will have to stay out of the sun for 5 days or so.

I didn't discuss this disease as it is relatively rare and injections into the eye (avastin, etc) are not the primary treatment. I would have got the diagnosis correct if she was sitting in my exam chair ;-)

I hope this explains things a bit better.

Don't forget to mash the excellent feedback button....by now you know how much fun it can be to push :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I didn't answer your first question. In my opinion it is worse (if such a word can be used in this context) as it is harder to diagnose and therefor treatment is delayed in many cases. Also, it is harder to treat and has a high rate of recurrence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr . Rick~ I did not receive your first answer yesterday and thus you re~ sent it the second time~I see today that my Visa was charged twice however~is there some way you can help me get this reversed~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I do not have access to the money part of things....I'm just a worker bee :)

But you can contact customer service and they will fix the double charge...sorry about the screw up :(

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

or there might be a direct link on your screen....

Have a good day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rather than get involved with that~ no doubt there would be red tape involved~I shall just ask another question~if you do not mind~ is Macular Degeneration worse than the Disorder my sister was told she had~I also wanted to mention that her Specialist~ not a Retina one~ said it was not from the start~ funny why he insisted on needle treatment ~ when you say it is not the first approach~from your point of view for the Disorder she has~ maybe he did not know what she had though~Thanks~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

That will be fine. However, something weird is going on as I only received one positive feedback/payment so I have no idea what happened to your extra payment :(

In my opinion wet macular degeneration, while it is indeed bad, is not as bad as what your sister has....

The avastin shots don't work well in the long run in my experience for your sisters condition although they do dry things up and improve vision at first.

I can't tell why the first doctor wanted to do the injection :(

Have a good weekend.