Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am having some eye problems and need help. Every time I am

I am having some eye problems and need help. Every time I am exposed to bright (or colorful lights), I get this lingering flashes (as if I had stared the sun) that make be dizzy. FYI, I did see ENT, eye, and neuro doctors and haven't got any diagnosis. Did get several MRIs of the brain and neck, eye examination, and EMG, CT scan, you name it, I've done it. Problem is, the symptoms are getting worse, but no one is able to tell me what's causing this. My ENT thinks it is meniere's but cannot explain that flashing part. My eye doctor thinks it is a brain issue instead. And my neuro thinks it is fibromyalgia or migraine-triggered symptoms. It's true that I suffer from migraine but flashes don't come before or after attacks - rather, they are quite random. So, what could possibly be causing it, and what other tests/exams can I undergo to find the cause. Please let me know.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on lyrica and klonopin but symptoms started before taking those meds. I mentioned all medical issues above.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
At this point it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest