Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I had the YAG procedure in both eyes, now my vision has a yellowish

I had the YAG procedure in both eyes, now my vision has a yellowish tint to everything I see. is there a fix to this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 1 year ago.

Dr. James :

hello.

Dr. James :

when did you have the yag laser procedure done?

Customer:

left eye 6 wks ago and right eye 10 days

Dr. James :

how long ago were the cataract surgery done?

Customer:

2009

Dr. James :

did you have any yellowish tint following the cataract surgery?

Customer:

no, I had very clear vision

Dr. James :

is the tint only in one eye or both eyes?

Customer:

Both eyes

Dr. James :

i don't believe the yellow tint is due to the yag laser procedure.
the laser creates a hole in the membrane behinds the lens and clears up the view to allow light to pass through the lens without any blurriness.

Dr. James :

it is possible the yellowing is due to irritation on the surface of the eye.

Dr. James :

glasses can improve the clarity.

Dr. James :

I'd recommend you see your eye surgeon again in about 1 month to dilate your eyes and check for a new glasses prescription.

Customer:

I have no idea. My doctor said that everything looks good and to try Thera Tears to see if this will help since there is still some blurred vision in the right eye. He did not give me an eye glass perscription.

Dr. James :

glasses prescription are usually done once the laser has settled. this takes about 2-4 weeks.

Dr. James :

I agree with your doctor in use an artificial tear such as Theratears.

Dr. James :

do this 4-6 times daily.

Customer:

I was told that I only needed to come back in a year.

Dr. James :

If the vision is clear and you are happy, a year is fine.
if you still have the tint and some blur, then usually 1 month to recheck.

Customer:

I'll try to go back because i am not seeing clearly as expected. However, thanks for your inpup.

Dr. James :

You are most welcome.

Dr. James :

take care.

Customer:

So you agree, the YAG laser procedure is a legit one and normally clears the blurry vision resulting fron cataract surgury?

Dr. James :

yes.

Dr. James :

clouding of the membrane behind the lens after cataract surgery is very common.

Dr. James :

the laser procedure's goal is to restore the vision to what it was just after the cataract surgery.

Customer:

do you have any suggestions as to what can cause the yellowish tint in my vision?

Dr. James :

without an exam, it is difficult to tell.

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. James :

it is not due to the yag laser because the laser just creates an opening in the membrane

Dr. James :

now it is totally clear.

Dr. James :

my other thought is that it may be due to the lens implants.

Dr. James :

one brand of lens made by alcon has a yellow filter. it is a very good lens.

Dr. James :

if due to the lens, i would have expected you to notice some yellowing after the surgery as well.

Customer:

Funny thing is, my vision is not clear in the right eye. Should I just give it more time?

Dr. James :

usually the vision clears up in a few days after a yag laser.
the next step is the recheck for glasses.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Good night

Dr. James :

you're welcome.

Dr. James :

good night.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon