Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Azythromycin eyedrops and chlamydia??.

I'm an optometrist, and have a patient resistant to usual therapy. I'm suspicious of chlamydia, have discussed referring the patient for doxycycline. Just wondering: can azithromycin be used for a low grade chlamydial infection?? thanks - - -

oh, should add - meaning TOPICAL azithromycin eye drops.  I've never had to prescribe it before!

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

azithromycin 1000mg x1 dose, doxycycline 100 mg po bid x days, tetracycline 250mg poQID for 7 days or erythromycin 500 mg QID for 7 days have all been shown to be effective in laboratory confirmed cases of adult chlamydial conjunctivitis.

Dr. Rick :

Of course these patient should also be tested for the presence of other STDs before starting antibiotic treatment.

Dr. Rick :

It goes without saying that their sexual partners should also be contacted and tested.

Customer:

ok, I guess I meant topical azithromycin eyedrops!!

Dr. Rick :

That is not going to work.

Customer:

ahhhhh!! THANK YOU- - - I'LL REFER THE PATIENT TO N.Y. EYE SURGERY CENTER, TO THE OPHTHALMOLOGIST WHO TREATED THE FIRST PATIENT!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, DR. RICK

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THANKS AGAIN! now I know what to do!!! Mark Jacobson, O.D.

Mark,

My pleasure.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

My real strength lies in Retina...been a retina surgeon for going on two decades now.

But I couldn't fit a hard contact lens to save my life ;)