Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

filmy layer over eye whites

I rubbed my eye for a moment last night and it got really red and this morning when I work there is a filmy layer over just the whites of my eye. What can I do?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Hi yes - thank you!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

rubbing of eye can cause chemosis ( fluid accumalation in the white part of the eye).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It looks similar to this image- http://www.eyedoctom.com/EyeInfo/Images/Chemosis2.jpg.

Customer:

I was out in the city and had touched a lot of things, so I should rephrase it to say that I didn't rub my eye a lot, but just rubbed it for a moment and then instantly it got infected....

Dr. A.S. Desai :

What are your present symptoms in the eye? Does it show redness or is there any pain/watering or reduced vision in the affected eye?

Customer:

But yes, I have a milder looking version of that image you sent. Do you have any advice on how to deal with it?

Customer:

No reduced vision, no pain, it just looks weird and I can feel the filmy layer when I blink...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though I cannot tell for sure whether you have chemosis alone or associated infection too, the treatment of chemosis is lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears ( available OTC), 1 drop 4 times a day for 4-5 days or till it subsides.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the chemosis persists even beyond a week or there are new symptoms of redness or watering in that eye, then it is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist after a week.

Customer:

Okay thank you - is there anything to be worried about? Or is this just very common? And last question: does this normally happen this fast?

Customer:

And is it contagious?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, chemosis can occur within a few minutes of rubbing of the eye. It is not common to occur every time a person rubs the eye but generally occurs if rubbed vigourously or with force. It is usually self limiting and is not a sign of anything serious. It is not contagious.

Customer:

Many thanks for your help!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hi ,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai