Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

had a vitrectomy 3 wks ago .. having difficulty opening my

had a vitrectomy 3 wks ago .. having difficulty opening my eye .. very sensitive to light .. guessing it is due to the pupil dilation ... should i work to open the eye wider or just let it be closed?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

When was the last time you were examined by your surgeon?

Has the sensitivity to light been getting worse or staying about the same?

Are you having any pain in your eye?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

last examined 2 wks ago, return to dr tomorrow ... sensitivity about the same ..no pain, just overall discomfort

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Karen,

I am a retina surgeon. Can you tell me why you had a vitrectomy?

Do you know if you had laser inside your eye?

Was a gas bubble placed inside your eye? If so, can you still see some of it?

Are you having any nausea?

Sorry for all the questions :(
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
One more thing.....

Are you still using atropine (red top), Pred Forte (milky white drop) and maybe an antibiotic drop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

detached retina, 80% .. large and small tear repaired with laser, silicone oil inserted .. no nausea .. drops include atropine, pred-g and one to control pressure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and thank you ...

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Karen,

Thanks for that extra information.

As you already know high eye pressure can be a problem with silicone oil. That being said, you are already on a pressure drop (probably a prostaglandin analog such as travatan, xalatan or lumigan).

Your light sensitivity could be due to the atropine dilating your eye, continued post op inflammation from repairing your large tear, or from some of the silicone oil "squeezing" around your lens and getting into the front part of your eye. This could cause your eye pressure to go up even while on a glaucoma drop as well as causing your cornea to swell.

So what is the take home message? From what you have posted, I do not think you are having a problem that would require immediate intervention, especially since it has been about the same lately, you are do not have any nausea or significant eye pain.

Since you will be seeing your surgeon tomorrow everything should be fine until then. I would just mention to her about your light sensitivity.

From what you have told me here today, I would bet that you are just experiencing a regular post operative issue that is of no major concern.

One other thing. I'm sure you understand that you will get a cataract in this eye in the near future due to the vitrectomy and silicone oil placement.... :(

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the very best and hope things turn out well for you.

Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it ok to keep eye closed or should i be trying to open it more? and thank you again for your help .. this is my first ever surgery and it has been pretty frightening ... i want to do everything i can to maximize my recovery result ... also, is there anything new/innovative in the tx of retinal detachment? and thanks for your help and reassurance !!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Karen,

You should just let the eye do what it want to do for today and just relax.

There have been many very exciting innovations since I first started as a retina surgeon over 20 years ago....and I bet your surgeon knows 'em all :)

There is a new "bionic eye" that was just approved in February by the FDA. It is an implantable computer chip that allows people who are totally blind, usually from a disease called RP, to see a bit.

You, however, will not need this gizmo since you are going to have such a great result from your surgery :)

It has been my pleasure to help you today. Have a good weekend.

And...don't forget to mash the excellent feedback button for me ;)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks again .. excellent service !!