Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had a cat scan because of a fall on the ice and everything

I had a cat scan because of a fall on the ice and everything was fine except they found something unexpected. They said the scan showed calcification along the retina on both of my eyes. I don't have an appointment for an examination with a retina specialist for a week and I am worried. What could this be? Is it life threatening? I wear contacts and progressive glasses. I am 58 and I am in impeccable health. My mother had macular disease but she was not healthy and smoked cigarettes her whole life. Since I am so committed to my health and wellness I figured I wouldn't have to worry about macular degeneration. I know there are many things this could be. Could it be nothing at all?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

did you get my response?

Doctor DanB : By far the most common reason for this to appear like this is because you may have some calcific deposits in the optic nerves called optic nerve drusen. While not strictly normal, they are somewhat common and usually do not portend a poor prognosis for vision for the eyes. However the retina doctor should be able to evaluate for this rather easily and be able to determine this. Does this make sense?
Customer:

yes what is the etiology of the nerve drusen and does it get progressively worse, and is there treatment for it to ensure healthy vision?

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

i just asked the question about the etiology, whether it gets progressively worse and is there tx. to ensure healthy vision?

Doctor DanB : The etiology of these are unknown; most are born with them. There isn't anything proven to treat prophylactically to prevent damage in the future but the best thing is to have regular follow-up, at least yearly or every 2 years; in a very uncommon occasion, they can be associated with peripheral vision loss and in these cases, surgical involvement as well as use of glaucoma drops may be necessary--but this is the exception rather than the rule.
Customer:

ok thank you

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology